Author: linda_sun

Why do Chinese prefer celebrating western festivals?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-10 04:36:59 |Display all floors
Xilong Post time: 2014-11-9 18:25
western holidays are just like games. it is like the whole society is palying a game together. by co ...

The Op pointed out 3 festivities.

Christmas (religion)
Valentine´s Day (love)
Halloween ( party time)

When you said ¨western holidays are just like games. it is like the whole society is palying a game together¨.

Can you explain better how the games are played?
Thank you.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 04:58:18 |Display all floors
Linda
Seems you are confused, ignorant or got lost. I guessed you just visited a shopping mall and got surprised to see Christmas decoration with a sour taste

1.- The 3 festivals that you mentioned are not WESTERN festivals.
- Christmas is celebrating in all countries where they have  Christian religion. North America, South America, Europe, Africa and some Asian countries, Australia too.
- Saint Valentine´s Day is related to love and love is universal, isn´t it?
- Halloween most people doesn´t know or doesn´t care the origin or the meaning, the point is just to get fun,  its a good excuse to wear different in a party.

2.- All the 3 foreign festivities you just mentioned arrived to China due to the globalization and they are purely for business reasons. More lights, more music, more decorations and more advertisings in malls, restaurants, etc,  will attract customer and consumers. The point is to get money, this phenomeno it happnes in China and in the whole world .

3.- The Chinese people DID NOT PREFER foreign festivities, some just enjoy it, some just ignore it. They DO NOT CHOOSE a foreign festival over local festivals,  There is not win over a loser. DO NOT over estimated the Chinese people.

Try to learn about other cultures, try to identify what is foreign and what is Western festivals. Try to value more your own culture and festivals, seems you got too impressed by foreign festivals. Chinese festivals are great too, value them more same as most Chinese do it.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 05:25:55 |Display all floors
SharkMinnow Post time: 2014-11-9 18:05
Good question. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Chinese prefer celebrating Western Festivals, but ...

Can any Chinese people please explain why you do this?  

Simple
Chinese people do not celebrate for example Christmas, they are witness of nice decorations in malls, seasonal advertisings on tv and probably good discounts in stores.

Chinese do not go to church to celebrate the mass for Christmas.
Chinese do not have special diner for Christmas.
Chinese do not exchange Christmas gifts.
Christmas is a big celebration for Christians countries, it arrived to China due and purely for business. (shopping malls)

About Valentine´s Day
As love is universal, its a good way to express the love for your love partner.
If love is universal why Chinese should be excluded?
Again, its all about business (restaurants, night clubs, ktv and bars)

Halooween is a nonsense festivity, good only for party time in different style, with costumes. Good for business too.

As China is good for business, why not let them do their business with their own people?
Somebody got hurt?

You would not see Americans or Canadians celebrating Mid-Autumn Festival or Spring Festival on their own in N.America.  Many foreigners think this is very strange when they see this in China.

Simple
Those festivities is mostly for Chinese and some Asian countries, Its not strange at all but its not attractive for business.

All its about business.

Chinese should be happy, almost in all countries of the world, there is a Chinatown, nailed THE WHOLE YEAR in a nice enviroment where locals share and join the CNY and Spring Festival with their Chinese  counterparts  AND NOBODY COMPLAINS ABOUT IT.

Would love an honest answer to this question.

I did my best, I hope you are satisfy.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2014-11-10 05:56:55 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 09:17:28 |Display all floors
In China I don't know any Chinese people who "prefer" to celebrate Westernized festivals. I am a teacher in a Chinese foreign language school, we follow the Chinese school calendar that takes no account of western festivals, except we are given one day holiday for Christmas. However, most International schools follow the western school calendar with holidays around the western festivals. Many international companies who employ expats in China also have holiday periods around the festival times. I think that where there is interaction between Chinese and foreign people there is greater sharing of cultures with many westerners also celebrating the Chinese festivals, everything except Tomb Sweeping Day, because we don't have any tombs to sweep.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 09:27:15 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2014-11-10 04:28
Linda
Seems you are confused, ignorant or got lost. I guessed you just visited a shopping mall and  ...

All Christian festivals have their origins in Pre-Christian paganism most often based on moon cycles, planting and harvesting of crops. Thanksgiving and Fasting festivals were "declared" festivals based on times of good or bad, for example England had Thanksgiving for the failure of Guy Fawkes which is why we celebrate the 5th November, there were Fastings after the great fire of London and the plague, all of which pre-date the existence of USA. The Chinese also celebrate their festivals around the ancient pagan dates, particularly Autumn Moon and Chinese New Year, which is also a moon festival. Some, not all and probably not most, Chinese just like to party and have no interest in dubious religious links to the western festivals.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 09:27:38 |Display all floors
I would agree with XiLong: Western Festivals are more like parties or games for some Chinese. Also, spending money = good for economy.  I was in my wife's hometown a few years ago during Christmas and people were celebrating on the streets, dressed in Costumes, etc...it looked more like Halloween, but it was basically just a big party.  Most Chinese don't take Western Festivals as seriously as their own.  As XiLong said, it's like a game or party in my eyes. A way to blow off steam and have fun (and spend money).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.