Author: admin

Why do Chinese choose 'weird' English names?[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-5 06:35:10 |Display all floors
I have been teaching in China for some years now, I have had students called Sandwich, Death, Walker, and many Rainbows, however I do not think the Chinese take weird English names, because to them the names are not weird.  It is only us westerners in the smallness of our minds that call their names weird.  A name is a sound, a label a person chooses and they should be free to choose whatever label they like.  Before you judge the names Chinese people take as weird study up on the origin of English common names, many of which have everyday meanings in other languages.  To say a particular word is not a 'proper' name is merely to show your ignorance and parochiality.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-7 22:37:56 |Display all floors
I find it very irritating. I have met girls, young girls, called Maud! You have to be at least 120 years old to be called Maud. Plain daft as they can't even be bothered to research an adopted moniker!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-12 14:48:35 |Display all floors
chinese people know how to get a chinese name, cuz we know our culture, and every name has some special meaning, we name us strange in english, firstly, a lack of the knowledge of culture, secondly, perhaps ,think it just a name convinent for foreigner to call, it's not that important

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-12 14:53:06 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2014-11-4 17:35
I often think that people in the west are too lazy to remember even simple Chinese names. However, t ...

And they like to name themselves after fruits too, Apple for instance!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-12 14:53:11 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2014-11-4 17:35
I often think that people in the west are too lazy to remember even simple Chinese names. However, t ...

And they like to name themselves after fruits too, Apple for instance!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-8-12 15:18:26 |Display all floors
Us foreigners also have chinese names....
mine is jiefu (older sisters husband)....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-12 16:08:32 |Display all floors
My username is named after a fruit which i loved very much.Sometimes ,we chinese just come up with a english name for fun or treat it as a nickname.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.