Views: 2471|Replies: 4

How to face the "day-in and day-out" life? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-26 16:45:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RosieLux at 2014-10-26 16:49

Do you have any idea of what “day in day out” really mean?

A video about the Kenyon commencement address made by David Foster Wallace is so thought-provoking. For most of the graduating seniors who are still in the ivory towers, they may not know what the real life is in society. Pro. David’s speech is worth a second thought to most of us. Here are some quotations from the speech. Please give us your opinion or suggestions as to the attitude of dealing with the routine and frustration in life.

"Among large parts of the life, one such involves boredom, routine, and petty frustration, and many more dreary, annoying, seemingly meaningless routines besides. But that is not the point. The point is that petty, frustrating crap like this is exactly where the work of choosing is gonna come in. Because the traffic jams and crowded aisles and long checkout lines give me time to think, and if I don't make a conscious decision about how to think and what to pay attention to, I'm gonna be pissed and miserable every time...The thing is that, of course, there are totally different ways to think about these kinds of situations...But most days, if you're aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fact..."

(To see the video,click: http://v.qq.com/page/o/v/1/o0138qa7ov1.html?__t=1&ptag=1.sina&_out=1)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-26 16:52:01 |Display all floors

A clip of the video, "You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-9 17:02:41 |Display all floors
I don't like

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-5 22:38:03 |Display all floors
iPod and large headphones gets me into work. After that, it's coffee's turn

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-1-6 01:36:15 |Display all floors
Lucky-Echo Post time: 2014-12-9 17:02
I don't like

Hip Flask

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.