Views: 5477|Replies: 11

three passions [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-22 11:50:14 |Display all floors
Three passions ,simple but strong, have governed my life :the longing for love, the search for knowledge , and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind .Three passions or fellings ,like great winds ,have blown me here and there, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anger, reaching to the very edge of despair.
      I have been looking for love first, because it bings joy-joy so great that I would often have lost all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it .Next because it relieves loneliness------that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the old unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it. Finally, because in the union of love I have seen in a mystic miniature, the   prefiguring vision of the heaven that poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and thought it might seem too good for human life ,this is what--at last--I have found.
      With enough passion I have sought knowledge . I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to understand the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flax. And I have wished to see  the hearts of men .A little of that ,but noy much, I have achieved.
      Love and knowledge, so for as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens .But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in hunger ,rictims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons.And the whole world of loneliness, poverty,and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. Il long to alleviate the evil ,but I can not and I too suffer.
      This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were affered me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-23 13:50:54 |Display all floors

one passion

One passion, which have governed my life, simple but strong, is longing for understanding. Only I understand others, can I get knowledge, friendship, love and happy time. Only I am understood, can I give my hands to the one who needs them , can I get to know how suffering they are enduring. Understanding is the root of love  in the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-23 18:12:39 |Display all floors

Bertrand Arthur William Russell

thanks, Kathleen.  Those words were from his autobiography (which is in 3 volumes).

He was a great fan of China, a british aristocrat, philosopher, mathematician, nuclear pacifist, educationist, social wit and nobel laureate in literature.

On reading Einstein's paper on relativity, he said of himself: 'i've wasted my time on muck.'  

His monumental work on logic done with Alfred North Whitehead at Cambridge was also called Principia whose importance was later scuttled by a german and an austrian.

I went to London once many years ago. Headed straight for Westminster Abbey.  Paid 4 pounds to walk into the special area. Saw a man dressed up finely standing next to me.  So i made one of the biggest mistakes in my life.  I asked him 'Sir, can you tell me where lieth the grave of Lord Bertrand Russell in this church; i would like to pay homage to his grave with these flowers?' (thinking all british lords were buried in that place.).  He replied 'don't you know HE would not be buried here?'.

The replier was the church's Abbey;  Russell was an atheist and antiChristian.  Later i found out his ashes were scattered in Wales.

In my younger years, i learnt all my way of writing in english from - him. His works moulded the way i thought.  Now, i have left behind much.  But what i retain from 'him' about the need for holism and humanity endure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-23 21:50:56 |Display all floors

Soldiering hearts and Kuan Yin

A grey ghostly statue reminds me everyday; she hears the endless cries of humanity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-23 23:25:35 |Display all floors

To: Markwu - Re: Bertrand

WOW! I’m so pleasantly surprised by your appreciation of Bertrand Russell. I became acquainted with his works at the age of sixteen with his publication of “Why I am Not a Christian” and later as I matured with the “Principia Mathematica” (Liars Paradox).

I developed an admiration for his ability to write and publish his first and only drafts with no corrections – something I have always aspired to.

By the way he recanted on his deathbed – or so it has been said. He was not truly an atheist but Agnostic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-24 13:19:14 |Display all floors

edon and Thos

Thanks, edon. Pleased to know you took to Russell's works when you're 16; that was too my age long ago when i discovered his works.  So much so i can still remember one sentence in his celebrated essay 'A Free Man's Worship' out of his collection called The Conquest of Happiness:

'True happiness comes only to those who no longer ask of life that it shall yield them any of those personal goods that are subject to the mutation of time.'

Read somewhere that he started on an IQ test and moved very quickly but as it became harder he slowed; when asked why, he replied..'because there's no word to describe the idea behind the answer';  his mind seemed to work on words, while it's understood that Einstein's worked on non-verbal conceptualisation (like effect of magnet on compass). I recall that the computed IQs of Russell, Einstein, Newton and Bobby FIscher were somewhere in the range of 180-190.  That of Goethe was of course 210 while Vos Savant's was 220. Just a titbit here.  We'll never know if Li Po's 240...

Anyway, if you've the chance, you should read Henry Kissinger's essay (in one of his books) on his meeting with the Chairman and also Premier Zhou. That i enjoyed too, as i moved away from Russell;  incidentally you'll find some similar spiritedness in the frenchman Voltaire whose biting wit in his literature was equally appealing.. one time long ago.

..and for Thos : you mentioned Kuan Yin.. and that seals my defense of you (wherever you be, should our paths cross).  May She bless your path ahead through this irksome life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-24 14:49:10 |Display all floors

To: Markwu

Thanks for recommending Kissinger’s essay. I give all the credit and thanks to my older brother that introduced me to the great thinkers by throwing me a copy of “The Apology” and “The Republic”.

I too have enjoyed Voltaire’s works, as well as Racine and on a lighter note Moliere’s plays.

Nice knowing you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.