Views: 1957|Replies: 12

Should China enforce tighter rules on foreign teachers?[10]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-26 09:29:38 |Display all floors
rick45 (US)

As an American living in China, I've seen far too many "teachers" who would never be allowed to teach in their home nation. Many have minimal education (BA, etc.), little real experience, and seem to use "teaching" as an excuse to stay here under a work visa.

I would never try to teach English, for example, because I am not an English major. I do hold two earned Ph.D. degrees from na ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-9-26 09:29:39 |Display all floors
I don't understand why many of the people in the above article are complaining. It is very true that because someone speaks the English language it does not mean they understand it grammatically. Most foreigners learn to speak English at school, so the English will all to often carry a local accent, this is very confusing for most if not all students. Simply because teachers change regulary and the tone is not always the same, very often there is no constructive method in the teacher. Now saying that just how many Chinese English speaking teachers, speak good English? I have heard and seen many and they're English ability is terrible, yet they believe it is most excellent.It is usually the foreigne teacher thats left to clean the mess the Chinese teacher leave. Lately I've been teachering students who have just left University. The spoken English is terrible. They fail 95% of the time to understand what the question was, and as for the written grammar, very often junior schools in the UK do better. Once again because someone speaks English it does not mean its they're 1st language or good at it. I have a Bsc, several HND's, and a CELTA certificate, I'm from the UK yet I can be insulted here in China by some 18 year old who wants to test my oral and written English ability. Fair enough, but when you learn your from the TV and movies, I really don't think you are qualified enough to sit in front of me to assess me. If China wants the best then they need to pay for the best. Tell me why! do Universities pay so little yet they reqire the best?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-9-26 09:36:56 |Display all floors
Problem....
1) Foreigners who work in "language centers" are NOT teachers! They are "consultants".Schools come under "China Education Dept".
2) Schools and language centers want to hire ONLY "white" people! It does not matter if they speak English as 2nd or even 3rd language. Chinese Americans (like myself) are at the bottom.
3)This just shows that the education system in China does not care about "quality", it ONLY cares about money!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-26 09:42:05 |Display all floors
That is for the people of China to decide

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-26 10:33:05 |Display all floors
A doctorate does not a good teacher make. Passion, heart and soul, sincerity and connection are what make a good teacher. Of course, a measure of education is necessary: one cannot not have knowledge to impart. That criteria can be measured, but the other? The part that make a teacher good or great? How to measure that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-26 10:37:11 |Display all floors
I am certainly in favor of finding more qualified teachers.  But please keep in mind that English Teaching Certificates are merely proof that one has paid money to some company and sat through a course.  Often times, the courses teach out of date methodologies and pass everyone who can breathe and stand up.  The Ministry of Education should plan a method for evaluating and certifying foreign teachers that makes sense.  Merely setting up a new test based requirement may not be the best way.  But, certainly, something needs to be done.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-28 10:34:21 |Display all floors
First things first. Am I the only one who noticed the "I AM CHNESE" in photo #2? Anyone who tries to pass themselves off as an English teacher ought to, at the least, be able to spell "C-H-I-N-E-S-E".

I do agree with onceaknight. You get what you pay for. If China wants quality teachers, then China is going to have to pay for them. Why is it that private language mills can afford to pay 10 - 15,000 yuan per month for a TESOL/TEFL teacher that is only going to be there for a year, while universities pay anywhere between 3500 and 5000 yuan (North-east China) for a qualified, degreed teacher who, in all likelihood, will stay at that university for multiple contracts?

The problem lies not with unqualified teachers. The problem lies with the Chinese government who, 15-20 years ago, started advertising for foreigners to come to China to teach, "No degree required". Couple this with unscrupulous locals who are seeking to cash in on this new "business", and you have plane-loads of unqualified people entering the country to seek out their fortunes.

Now, 15-20 years later, you have a massive influx of foreigners, some who are excellent at their jobs, and some who have ulterior motives, and give the whole teaching profession a bad name, who are making the country think to itself, "Was this a wise decision?", and "How can we fix it?"

A test-based requirement was tried a few years ago, and was a total flop. Questions to test an English teacher's knowledge of the language were written in Chinglish, and a large focus of the test was on Chinese history and culture. Neither of which tested a foreigner's ability to teach.

No one person is going to come up with a solution to this dilemma. However, if China wants its university English majors to have a proper degree in English, they are going to have to expand beyond the 'listening, speaking, reading, writing' format. A degree in English includes linguistics, drama, literature, and history (of the language), as well as grammar, spelling, and punctuation. TESL/TEFL courses do not teach English. They are teaching certification courses only. They teach methodologies ... how to teach. Many of them are extremely poor at this. A few, such as Cambridge and Trinity College, London, are up to date with the latest methods, and are highly respected. A Bachelors degree in History, does not qualify you to teach English. A degree in Pharmacology does not qualify you to teach English. A degree in English doesn't even qualify you to teach English.

In China, if you want to teach Chinese to foreigners, you must have a 'Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language' degree. This is a four-year program at most universities. I know that in many countries, the UK for example, a Master's degree in TESOL is offered, where a thesis must be completed in order to graduate. Is this what is going to be required in China? I don't know. One thing I do know is that, if China wants properly qualified and certified teachers of English, a massive change is going to need to take place, including standardized, country-wide salaries.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.