Author: DrMao

CHina still long way from Carrier operation; lacking AWACS n number of J15. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-18 00:46:43 |Display all floors

That, my friend, are [Bull Craps!] started by Russian engine maker(s) fueled of course by China's announcement that the problem with the WS-10A had been resolved and that future J-10, all variants of it; J-11's\15's\16's; even early blocks of the J-20\J-31's; are all to be powered by the WS-10A - not by the Russian AL-31 - and that makes for a painfull reality Russian engine makers, especially at a time when sanctions cuts deep into Russia's pocket affecting all facets of the Russian economy.

Further to that, the makers of the WS-10A went on as as boldly as to say that their product, the WS-10A, will be introduced into the international defensive needs marketplace as a more economic alternative to that of the Russian Al-31 hence irking Russia's aviation industry as a whole, which triggered Russia to lash back, first with charges that China copied the Su-35 (J-16) without authorization from Sukhoi or Russia, a charge Shenyang boldly denied.  

No can do about the J-16 charges, Russia turned to bad-mouthing the VC 16 instead suggesting that the CV-16 is not in fully operational status because it lacks J-15's (suggesting that it's due to engine supply shortages).  It goes on to claim that due to the lack of a scout plane as the E-2 Hawkeye, that it (CV-16) is not a complete system, all of which was claims designed to bad mouth the Chinese because of the engine disagreements of the above.

The other possiblity however: sometimes ago, rumor in the Chinese www has it that, rather than AEW's such as the E-2 Hawkeye,  the CV 16, it is said, may be attempting to employ\adopt UAV's a its AEW scout systems and, if true, then it makes plenty of sense to me.  UAV's are minute; dime a dozen; hard to pick up by radar due to its size hence hard to target and destroy and, there's no lose of limb or lives involved.

I mean systems as the E-2 Hawkeye looks awesome on Tom Cruise's Top Gun. But, like the P-8 Orians, they are easily picked up by radar and easy to target making them the Jurrassic Park speciments of the scout planes realm and as sitting ducks out there in the vast open seas and oceans so why not remotely controlled drones for the job?

Consider another scenario:  Russian engine makers were expecting to filled as much as a thousand units of AL-31 Saturns for China to help power China's planned thousand plus front line fighters to be inducted into the Chinese arm force by the 2025. Calculating that @ a rough cost of USD $50 Million per unit (AL-31's ranges between 40 million to 65 million per unit) and multiplying that by one thousand units) we arrive at a product of something like USD $50 Billion).  This represents a lose of income, in USD, of some 50 Billion for Russian engine makers and, for the Russian economy and...

"...this does not include the potentials for the WS-10A to bite into the market which was the AL-31 that Russia camand worldwide.  Huge and decisively painfull numbers isn't it?

The unit cost per WS-10A, as it goes, is something like USD 1.5 million a pop and this number goes down further to something like 1.1 to 1.2 million a pop once the engine goes into full scale production - an offer hard to refuse if you're in the market for a batch of it isn't it?  

I mean at a compared cost of USD 50 million per unit per AL-31 Saturn verses that of 1.5 million per unit or less per unit per WS-10A, that's a bottom line you would definitely not want to have appear in your bank account or on your credit card, don't you agree?

Remember: they tried to copy\replicate P&W's F-100 at first but merged it with the AL-31 instead so imagine the difficulty of it and if it indeed is now perfected, it becomes a mirage between the F-100 and the AL-31 so imagine the pluses of this end product...

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 00:51:53 |Display all floors
magnetic1974 Post time: 2014-9-17 10:20
China will get at least 5 aircraft carriers, However I think  China is more focus  on  capable nuc ...

carriers do the job much more effective than vulnerable subs but then again carrier operatin cost is way way upthere just look at the US navy stats sheet ledger  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 00:54:02 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 03:34:38 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2014-9-17 04:23
china needs at least a dozen of carriers plus carrier jet fighters in order to do justice in the pac ...

actually, and as i had said again and again, it's not about numerical advantage, i.e., as in how many carriers and such that one have.  more rather, it's all about the deadly acurate none-miss and guaranteed kill 21st century smart weapony's these days, and [they] know it... For that purpose, Chinese Aeigis frigates and destroyers, subs armed with anti-ship systems, air launch anti-ship missiles, and other access denial hardwares that China fields now days is more than sufficient for the job. Carriers, in my opinion, are purely about image, about the prestige, about bragging rights that all military estblishment wanted. on the practical side, yes, it is also a platform to project air power in far flung places and in waters where it is guaranteed that it is safe from attack, i.e., as in the vietnam war where hanoi just have no way of reaching it because it operates out of range of enemy fire and\or anti-ship missiles.

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 04:15:39 |Display all floors
shameless Post time: 2014-9-17 06:04
Really?????

China needs Flat-top killers, son, this is 2014 not good old Honolulu times...

i just can't see how they're going to stop a warhead corkscrewing its way towards you at mach 10 - 12 at terminal stages...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 04:33:15 |Display all floors
magnetic1974 Post time: 2014-9-17 08:54
Ski jump work fine with J-15, China can modifies the J-15 into submarine hunter, its much faster t ...

well... i don't know if china wants vstol... the extra dead weight robs the jet of its power confining a fighter of the kind to subsonic or low supersonic at best... before the jh-7, britian offered the harrier to china while the mig-23 offered china a glimpst into the workings of geometic swept wing which both was all the rage then, but, china settled for the jh-7 instead because, if you are at war, you don't want anything clumsy and harriers has to be gobbles mighty clumsy while the mig-23 probably gobbles up petro like that of a v-8. unless china solved the problem of the extra drag created by the extra dead weight, i doubt if she's going to settle for no vstol or variable swept wings. i think, however, rather than vstol or variable swept wing, china is likely going to concentrate her efforts on uav's and ucav's, sciences which likely will supercede even the advantages of stealth which is all the rage today.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-18 04:54:42 |Display all floors
magnetic1974 Post time: 2014-9-17 02:37
Catapult is outdate and expensive to operate, vertical take off is truly a  future of operating the  ...

uav's and ucav's, magnet...  it's the wave of the future and china is in the forefront of the science...

it is noted by this chinese general - major general zhang xio zhong - who gives periodic interviews on cctv that, if war is ever to break out between japan and china that one weapon china have to deal with japan is a fleet of 5000 strong fishing trawlers... ludicrust? i wouldn't bet on it however but...

...imagine, just imagine, that, instead of 5000 fishing trawlers that it becomes 5000 units of these mothers instead and each one of them hugs under their wing or belly a hellfire of two...

it's highly possible and within reach you know because bzk-005's uav's can't be anymore costlier than a fishing trawler...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.