Author: english-learner

Tighter requirements for foreign teachers in China   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-16 16:45:09 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-9-16 15:16
It is not he, but she. I don't say your post rubbish when you misjudged the gender of the poster.  ...

Firstly, I am far from being uncouth, I am however not known for mincing my words.

Secondly, you need to learn to differentiate between a teacher and a lecturer or tutor or professor or indeed a facilitator or trainer.  Each is very different.  

There are NO teachers as such at any university, there are lecturers, tutors and professors, associate professors etc depending on the country the university is located in.  Generally the minimum qualifications to be involved in university education as a faculty member are a graduate degree.

Teachers (schools).  Things have changed in recent years, however at least 50% of teachers in Australia (and the UK) over the age of 45 will only have a diploma.  The new 4yr teaching degrees were implemented in the late 80s to early 90s depending on state.  

Now talking about Melbourne, there's an alternative entrance method for many teaching positions, especially the vocational courses such as Industrial Arts etc, and I quote "For secondary teaching there is a fourth pathway. You can gain industry experience in a vocational area and link this with a teaching qualification. This is most applicable to teaching in the technology studies or vocational education areas (e.g. qualifications and experience in trades such as automotive systems, woodwork, metals, electronics or hospitality combined with the completion of an approved qualification in technology education."

TAFE. This is a tough area.  Until 2013 anyone with a Cert IV could apply to become a teacher at TAFE. I am unsure of it's current status as TAFE is currently being reorganised for the dozenth time in 15 years.

Private colleges (Most English Language Schools, and other fee for service education providers) work within the National Training Framework, that means a Cert IV in training or a Cert IV trade qualification along with a relevant train the trainer type qualification (cert III or cert IV). In some cases no paper qualifications are required.

The USA is now split in to two channels, 4year degree and an alternative route for others who will eventually end up with teacher qualifications.  Given the current crisis in the USA with falling teacher numbers (according to a union organiser friend) the standards for teacher qualifications may well be lowered in the next few years to what they were in the 1970s, that is diploma level for trades teachers.

As for the person being a female, so what? I'd be just as harsh regardless as I am gender neutral and don't play special because someone is a female or male, or an it for that matter.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-16 17:02:45 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-9-16 14:55
You are the first ever honest English with good faith I know  in the forum.

Good for you!:handsha ...

if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 17:17:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-9-16 17:38
Ratfink Post time: 2014-9-16 16:45
Firstly, I am far from being uncouth, I am however not known for mincing my words.

Secondly, you  ...

First, it is not you who can tell whether or not you are uncouth, but the respondents. Don't praise yourself. I did find that your previous abusive remark about denigrating the forumite's comment as rubbish very offensive. Do you always speak in that manner in reality? Though I don’t know you, I am sure you don’t. The forums are calculated to debate on the basis of facts, and share thoughts or eyeviews, but not a place for you to try to insult other people who are opposed to your thoughts. All the forum members are expected to follow the rules and have decorum, especially being mods here. Do mods have any privilege to exempt that?If no, please don’t try to set a bad role model no matter what kind of real person you are!

Second, you tried to miscontrue the definitions among teacher, lecturer, professor, and trainers. Professor, lecturer, etc are teachers too. They just teach in different places i.e. colloeges or university or schools. Professor, and lecturer are titles or ranks  in college.

Need I mail an English dictionary to you? Here are the definitions about teachter quoted fom Cambridge Dictionary.

Teacher:
someone whose job is to teach in a school or college.

Professor:
a teacher of the highest rank in a department of a British university, or a teacher of high rank in an American university or college:

I don’t have the patience to read your tortuous post about the qualifications of teachers here and there. I would not say your words are rubbish as you did, but honestly that doesn’t make any sense, before you learn what teacher basically means either from me or some dictionary.

Before you launch another  long-wind post, please specifiy any eligible university or primary school hires a teacher without relevant degrees in your country.

Have a nice day, and be a good sport!
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 18:16:54 |Display all floors
Teaching is a profession with professional standards. Teachers have enormous responsibilities. It follows that a teacher should be required to meet and keep strict standards.  Developing countries are often keen  to attract native English speakers to teach English and can be casual in who they allow to work. Often such teachers are excellent, but a few may have no qualifications and/or no experience, and little knowledge of teaching skills. Teaching English abroad has been an attraction to many university graduates who wish to travel the world.... but they stay only for a short time before moving on. Sometimes their lessons are rather shallow and unprepared. Any move to check the value of foreign people who wish to teach abroad is probably a good thing.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 18:36:21 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2014-9-16 18:16
Teaching is a profession with professional standards. Teachers have enormous responsibilities. It fo ...

Fairly well-balanced comment.

There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 19:39:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by fatdragon at 2014-9-16 20:03

It seems to me that if the academic standards are to be increased then it will create a shortage of native English speakers required for conversational English. That is a little alarming when you consider just how many job vacancies already exist in the market. Needless to say it will drive the wages up.

However, how many of these native English speakers are required to teach grammar and other academic aspects of the English language? Not many I suspect which will render a paper qualification largely irrelevant. After all, any native English speaker you can imagine will have learned both the basics of English speaking and listening by communicating with their family and their friends, most of whom are certainly not qualified as teachers. Taking it one step further - you could teach a non English speaker to pass an English Language examination but it is unlikely that his ability to pass an exam will make him better at communicating in English than the native English speaker with no formal qualification.

And on that note, it suggests that it is time that 'qualified' native English people were employed to recruit people to teach English speaking rather than have a Chinese employer recruiting, for example, a French Canadian speaker with a broad French accent to teach English speaking simply based on the colour of their skin. (this actually happens in the rich kids school near where we live - hilarious to think how much money they are paying for a French accent without realising it).
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 20:03:53 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-9-16 17:17
First, it is not you who can tell whether or not you are uncouth, but the respondents. Don't prais ...

Ratfink was referring to the common usage of the term "teacher," but technically you are right. I would never have guessed it though, so I learned something, too.

Good job. I am quite proud of you, a series of intelligent posts...and I thought you only knew foul language (from your postings before you were banned)...lol
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.