Views: 896|Replies: 8

Chinese traffic laws: a joke [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-16 08:34:51 |Display all floors
I've been studying the more than 1,000 traffic laws required to pass the written driver's license exam in China. The testing process is quite incredible. In the West, it is much easier to obtain a driver's license. You study the law, practice driving in a driving school (or on your own), take two exams (driving exam and written exam; written exam requires a score of 70 or more) and you get your dr ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 08:34:52 |Display all floors
You must be the only foreigner in China not to know that you employ a Chinese translator when doing a driver's license exam, and pay them to fill in the right answers for you. If that doesn't work then a modest donation to the relevant police officer, perhaps over a large dinner, should get you into the driver's seat with a requisite red stamp on your license.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-16 08:50:45 |Display all floors
Actually I have to disagree.

The laws are not a joke, it is the way the laws are implemented ( or not as is often the case ) that is a joke.

Getting a licence in some other countries is also not easy, in the UK there is also a computer simulated hazard perception test to pass. The test in Chi8na is also getting a little better controlled in many cities and the back handers are becoming less.

So forget the laws being wrong, let us have the current laws being properly enforced for ALL road users including bikes and pedestrians, start revoking licences and word will get around quickly and thins will start to improve.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-16 08:51:59 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2014-9-16 08:34
You must be the only foreigner in China not to know that you employ a Chinese translator when doing  ...

Not so in Shanghai, the exam is on a computer and in English ( bad English I grant ), no chance to cheat there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 18:50:46 |Display all floors
Dont forget that in China it is sometimes a traditional attitude that to break the law or disobey rules is to be more clever than those who make the rules..... providing you dont get caught!.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 19:24:41 |Display all floors
I agree about the bad english. it's horrible translation. but somehow I passed it and have been driving for five years now. I got my license in a week. where there is a will there is a way. I found a loophole and managed to take the test after hours by my self in the big room. I was handed the answers for the test.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-20 17:50:45 |Display all floors
I got my driver's licence without too much trouble.  Passed the exam first time. Didn't have to bribe anyone. I agree about the almost complete lack of enforcement and the anarchy on the roads.  Small wonder so many people are killed and injured.  I does amaze me, that the police do nothing at all, despite hundreds of traffic infringements at any intersection every day.  I guess it is a cultural thing.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.