Author: hedan011

Are China's "modern" cities really that modern? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-19 16:32:48 |Display all floors

I have an idea...

Tell you what I'll do.

I'll take my camera out today and tomorrow, and I'll put up some pictures of some common, everyday scenes here in Hangzhou, and let people see for themselves.

I'm still thinking about the original question, though:  are chickens running around and pooping on buses indicative of a city's modernity?  What other standards can we use to judge than what makes a city modern?

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-19 18:08:44 |Display all floors

Other items of the specification

Pyjamas, Hedan.
Pyjamas on the streets.
I remember all gueilows were sneering and laughing seeing chinese in pyjamas.
I was chocked as well at the first sight, but a second thought came later.
Is it really stupid to wear light,full cotton two part pyjama on these hell hot and humid days?
Is it really a good base for joking about fk chinese peasants ?
May be you remember these days , when even in chinese press this subject was picked from time to time.
Dear Chinese, this is a strange , but actually a good idea. You have my backup in promoting pyjamas on streets.
The real, most stupid and laughable element of wear comes from the west and is called TIE. Get rid of this sht! Do not strangle yourselves.
I know me and Thos don't wear ropes on our necks.
Everything is relative - use a common sense and discover how many kings are nake.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-20 15:33:17 |Display all floors

pajamas in Hangzhou

It's not the peasants wearing pajamas, Andy, it's the local Hangzhou people.  City people.

But it does look pretty strange at first sight.  Like you, Andy, I have often chuckled to myself upon seeing people out and about in pajamas.

I'm not sure if this phenomenon is common in other cities or if it's strictly a Hangzhou thing...  My wife is from Gansu, and she thinks it's pretty goofy, too.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-20 18:49:56 |Display all floors

Pyjamas

This is (was) not limited to Hangzhou , Hedan. I saw it in all sities in south China ( though I do not remember if in Shenzhen -surely in Shekou).
I know it is worn by town dwellers, the meaning of "peasant" was taken from the song of John Lennon.
We , westerners (and other cultures) are biased to see things different tp our as weird. In case of folks wearing pyjamas on the street - the first though is " what a fkg backward peasants, who just got a bit of civilization , like you gave a bike to a monkey".
The comment I wrote above is about our limited imagination and bias toward something others do , but we don't.
There is no any sneering in my words in both comments, no laughing emoticans.
I really do think that the idea to take pyjamas to the street does not show any lack of civilization or "peasantry" , but a good common sense of these chinese folks. Because who was laughing? The blockes strangled with the upneck ties , a piece of rag which only function is to strangle the owner. I do mean it.
I won't wear pyjama on the street , because of the implanted BIAS and false shame, which limits my freedom in the similar way like muslim girls will not wear mini skirts.
Chinese met pyjamas not so long ago and they are far more mentaly FREE to make another and also good use of them.
I've just read the new thread by Teamsters, rushed back here to see what's up and I'm going back there.
I was laughing my ass of reading the sentence of the week for its funny formula , but I think Teamsters did not understand my state of mind and full ridiculousness of the situation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-21 02:50:12 |Display all floors

PJ's in BJ too

At night time only of course... It's just a little night stroll in the pj's.. I've done it myself, it's quite comfy... flip flops n all.

Use magic tools Report

freeman has been deleted
Post time 2004-6-21 16:47:28 |Display all floors

My suggestion for your guys

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-21 17:00:38 |Display all floors

pajamas and "xia che"

Now I'm confused....

First, let me clarify the pajamas thing:  I didn't mean to imply that there's anything WRONG with wearing pajamas to the supermarket.  Actually, I totally agree with Andy's point.  Having never seen pajamas worn to the supermarket, and having never even thought about it before, when I first saw it, I thought it was pretty strange and funny.  But, upon further reflection, I ask myself the question, WHY NOT???  Not being able to come up with any good reason "why not," I have come to accept it and stop the snickering.  Although I have not yet tried wearing pajamas to the supermarket myself...

(May I also note that my Chinese wife is not so easily convinced.  She thinks those who wear pajamas out are displaying their own laziness.)

As for yelling "xia che!" -- Freeman, I'm really confused by your comments on this.  Why is this typcially Chinese?  Why should or would this habit ever fade out?  I do it myself when I want to get off the bus; is there some reason I shouldn't?

I guess it doesn't happen on buses in the U.S. that often, cause there's a little button that you push that rings a buzzer that tells the driver that you want to get off.  Without this gizmo, I suspect that Americans would also yell, "stop, please" or something to that effect when they want to get off a bus.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.