Views: 75040|Replies: 142

Are China's "modern" cities really that modern? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-16 17:34:59 |Display all floors
Living here in Hangzhou, China, I often I feel as though I'm living in a relatively modern city.  Perhaps it doesn't quite yet compare with someplace like Chicago or Washington D.C., but I am quite comfortable here, and I enjoy many of the conveniences of modern life.

But every once in a while, I have to wonder.....  Yesterday, I was on a city bus, and a woman's chicken escaped her grasp, ran around the bus, and defecated in the middle of the floor.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-6-16 17:57:18 |Display all floors

ehhhh modern............

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-16 18:58:09 |Display all floors

I was once in Hangzhou

And it was the most terrible experience I've ever had in Ch ina ( I was in plenty of places). An absolute nightmare.
To spare your question  Haden ,WHY ??, I think it'll be enough to say, it happened during chinese holidays, probably in the beginning of May , if I recall it correctly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-16 19:49:49 |Display all floors

holidays in H.Z.

I can understand your experience, Andy.  Any Hangzhou ren will tell you:  never come here during a holiday.

Hangzhouese themselves usually stay indoors during the first week of May and the first week of October, since it's impossible to get around town.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-16 21:11:09 |Display all floors

Re: Hangzhou

Hangzhou is one of China's 6 ancient capitals, it has lots of cultural relics, beautiful mountains and lakes, especially the West Lake, which makes Hangzhou most famous for.

It is also the capital city of Zhejiang province, an economic and cultural center in Southeast China. It is also said to be abundant of beautiful girls.  It is a must -to-see place on the itinerary given by every travel agency, no wonder so many people rush to Hangzhou, but it is the same in other tourist cities, like Beijing, Shanghai etc.  The government trumpets 7-Day Golden Week in May 1st Holiday and National Day to encourage consumption, as a result people crowd every tourist spots.

In last National Day holiday, I asked one of my friends to go to Beijing's Fragrant Hill to see red leaves, you guess what he said? He said 'You will find more people in the mountain than the number of red leaves'. So I dismissed the plan.

Some human rights groups attack China's 1-child policy, I think they must never feel the pain of living in a overcrowded country; you fight to get on a bus, you fight to get train ticket to visit your aging parents during holidays, you compete with thousands of your peers to get a seat in college, to get a job in cities; to find a peace of mind, you have to escape from the crowds, to shut off the windows to keep out the noise.

USA is about the same size as China, just give 300 mln of China’s population to USA, I afraid US people will be mad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-17 00:22:52 |Display all floors

Never been to Hangzhou, Hedan.

But you're welcome to visit me in the modern, clean, beautiful (though small by Chinese standards) Chinese City of Zhuhai.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-17 06:42:50 |Display all floors

modernity trapped in tradition

On the other hand, a bus fleet run by some true "modern" city will not allow that woman with live animals aboard, and the poor woman will have no means to get around.

Unless most chinese are rich enough to cruise around in family SUV, the city public transportation will have to address the needs of those poor peasants.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.