Views: 5966|Replies: 26

Indians in South Australia barred from Anzac Day parade [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-8 05:52:12 |Display all floors

This is what the colonial, imperial mindset means!

Indians fought in Gallipoli alongside Aussies.."The Indians provided suppressing fire as the Aussies and Kiwis engaged the Turks, thus drawing the enemy's fire upon themselves."

*********** Article from the Times of India website *********
Indians in South Australia barred from Anzac Day parade
Manimugdha S Sharma,TNN | Sep 7, 2014, 09.01 PM IST

NEW DELHI: Gallipoli was the original Normandy. Early morning on April 25, 1915, the Anzacs (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) landed at Gallipoli in vessels that "moved like giant snakes in the water". With them landed the 7th Mountain Artillery Brigade of the Indian Army. The Indians provided suppressing fire as the Aussies and Kiwis engaged the Turks, thus drawing the enemy's fire upon themselves.

Hundreds of stories of camaraderie between the Indians and the Anzacs were recorded during the campaign. The Australians, perceived to be the most racist among white troops of the Great War, had only respect and admiration for the Indian soldiers. But a hundred years on, many Australians seem to have forgotten that Indians fought side by side with their ancestors.

Recently, the Australian media reported an act of "gross injustice" done to Indians in South Australia. An organization of retired Indian servicemen now settled in Australia had asked for permission to march on Anzac Day. They were refused on the grounds that the march is only for the Anzacs and those foreign veterans who fought with them as allies. This immediately sparked outrage among historians, academics and others, both Indian and Australian.

Australian military historian Professor Peter Stanley was among the first to tweet his outrage: "The RSL in S Aus is banning ex-Indian officers from marching on Anzac Day. Outrageous! Don't they know Indians landed at Anzac on 25 April?"

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-8 05:53:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-9-8 10:43

Indians barred from marching in ANZAC day parade in South Australia
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-8 06:06:37 |Display all floors
Your late on the news with this one by about 1 year. We are fighting this one in the real world for their right to march. You should move to South Australia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-8 06:39:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-8 06:54:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-9-8 08:55
raton Post time: 2014-9-8 08:39
I still don’t get it, Anzac is just a piss up day remembering the lost wars and Australians used  ...

Any day is a good day to reflect and learn something - ANZAC day does not celebrate 'victory'. It celebrates the spirit of camaraderie, sacrifice etc. Sometimes the people who organise such events forget the very spirit behind the event. Its like Christmas... some don't get it.

I think the best message to take away from  Gallipoli, was articulated by the Turks, showing the true generosity of spirit, that I have seen very rarely anywhere - with words to the effect that - once your sons died on our land (albeit that they had really no business being somewhere that far away in someone else's homeland trying to kill them) they are like our sons. The Turks still showed respect for human spirit of the enemy.  Every year, to this day, they let the Aussies and NZ come and honour their dead on their land!! Any other country would never permit this of their aggressors!
I think ANZAC is worth celebrating if some of this spirit shown by the Turks rubs off on others around the world.
Here is the quote attributed to Kemal Attaturk
"Heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives! You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well. "
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-8 09:49:45 |Display all floors
raton Post time: 2014-9-8 06:39
I still don’t get it, Anzac is just a piss up day remembering the lost wars and Australians used  ...

I don't get it either. It's the myth that they are perpetuating that annoys me. Time to move on and use ANZAC DAY to remember all war dead. The drinking I never understood and always dissagreed with

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-8 09:50:30 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-9-8 06:54
Any day is a good day to reflect and learn something - ANZAC day does not celebrate 'victory'. It  ...

You don't understand ANZAC DAY do you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.