Views: 8067|Replies: 9

[US] School reform [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-5 03:59:31 |Display all floors
"The history of school reform is littered with short-lived, failed experiments. Will expanded preschool be an exception? US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has touted high-quality preschool as “a sure path to the middle class”; President Obama h...

Quartz -

See more at:
http://www.bing.com/r/2/BB1dDYw?a=1&m=EN-US
"

Every country has its own concern regarding to this issue. Here is the latest news released talking about the children's education in USA. The concern of the nation's education department is to how to minimize the gap between children from low-income families and children from middle-class or wealthy ones. They have been making efforts in the school reform.

It is well known that environment is essential to a child's growth and life outcome. And this article is an all round demonstration of children's education. Preschool, after school and summer programming... I dare say no one is more familiar with them than us Chinese parents. We just make it an extreme, and exhaust the young brains.

Back to the topic, how about your opinion to our own school reform?
Live and record.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-5 08:50:38 |Display all floors
i think children do and can start schooling at varying ages. While preschool does make a difference in how children fit in socially and develop other skills and knowledge, it is more important to reform the entire school system from grades1 to 10, (or above) to make a difference in the students life, to enable them to cross the threshold from poor to middle class. There needs to be reforms in the transition to the work force or further study after high school... they affect outcomes more than preschool. Preschool funding and efforts are cheaper and politically more attractive for policy makers to get cute photo ops and public support. Parents are emotional and sensitive when the children are much younger. They dont think too deeply and are swayed by their hearts while the kids are very young.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-5 16:31:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Judy_Zhu at 2014-9-6 08:56

Can't agree with you more. It should be a through treatment of all the components in the whole system. And it's more important to help the kids follow up in the long term schooling rather than giving them a stimulation in the short term preschool days.
Live and record.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-5 17:55:01 |Display all floors
Does China have good interfacing of local businesses and industries with local schools to transition students to appropriate work? Australia has a very good system of early spotting of interests, talents and skills and directing interested students into trades and studies as appropriate with local businesses and universities. I hear Germany and other European nations have that too at an advanced level. The USA is also very good in this aspect.
Can someone who knows the Chinese system respond on this thread? it would be interesting to know.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-5 20:22:53 |Display all floors
Preschool and early school are good things but please do not forget to allow children to be children at times

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-6 07:47:32 |Display all floors
Academically, preschool has no effect on scores after the third grade. In the long term the high school dropout rate is higher amongst students that attend preschool.  More education at such a young age does nothing to improve the chance of that students future success an if anything makes the student less likely to finish school.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-6 16:18:14 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-9-5 16:25
The  link is to an article about U.S. American preschools and their significance in ensuring that  ...

Thanks!
The article begins with the benifits of a more broad coverage of public preschools provide to minimize the gap between children from different families, but later diverts to the point that it is not an effective way of reforming.  The more important thing is to follow up, to take care of them when they are back home from school everyday, when they are on the long summer holidays, and so on. As far as I know, students in primary and secondary schools from western countries normally have classes in the morning. They'll be free since 2pm in the afternoon. They can do what they would like to do if there are no monitors around. This enlarges the gap among children from different families. Middle class families will send the kids to private caring/learning centres in this time span while poor families fail to do so because of the high costs, thus the kids are hovering in the neighbourhood and lag behind.

Chinese parents normally highlight the kids education. That's why i'm talking about they are more familiar with the after school and holiday programes. Small kids in China are busy with all kinds of early learning programmes. So it's no need to worry that there will be such gap among chinese children. Actuall I'm think about the parents worry too much about the little people's future and they are going to an extreme.
Live and record.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.