Views: 16552|Replies: 178

Whats with the police? Another shooting in Ferguson, USA   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-8-20 05:59:55 |Display all floors

Do two trained, well armed police officers with guns, approaching a young man armed with a knife in open sight, asking to be shot and killed, feel their own lives threatened? Enough for both to shoot him dead?
Were they not taught to use less lethal means? Did they not have tasers? Do the police have to preempt judicial process and tweet in the media about how the officers feared for their safety enough for them to shoot to kill?
I suppose this is the kind of specious reasoning that fuels people's distrust in law enforcement and justice in the USA.
It is better and more honest to tell the truth that the police policy is
"Dont even give the appearence of resisting or complaining or non-compliance when police are around. If you do, prepare to die". At least it will send the right message and less people will die like this.

-KIyer

Excerpt from an article in The Age newswebsite in Australia 20 Aug 2014

St Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said in a tweet on Tuesday that officers had responded to a call and found an apparently agitated man, armed with a knife who yelled "kill me now" and approached the patrol.

In a tweet from his own account retweeted by his force, Mr Dotson said: "Officers gave suspect verbal commands. Officers feared for their safety and both officers fired their weapons. Suspect is deceased."

The world's media descended on the street where the latest police shooting took place, dozens of reporters having been in the nearby suburb of Ferguson covering the ongoing unrest.

Onlookers gathered at the yellow incident tape sealing off the scene of Tuesday's shooting outside a convenience store in St Louis, some of them chanting the slogan of the protests: "Hands up, don't shoot."

Excerpt from an article in The NBCnews website

Two St. Louis city police officers shot and killed a black man who came within several feet of them brandishing a knife on Tuesday a few miles from the turbulent suburb of Ferguson, authorities said.
A crowd of at least 100 people quickly gathered at the scene. Some people chanted, “Hands up! Don’t shoot!” — the refrain from a week of protests over the police killing of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, three miles away.
The man in the St. Louis shooting, 23, had taken energy drinks and a package of pastries from a nearby convenience store, Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters. He said that the man was “acting erratically, walking back and forth, up and down the street.”
The chief said that the officers repeatedly ordered the man to drop the knife and drew their weapons after he did not drop it. The chief said the man told the police: “Shoot me now. Kill me now.”
He said the two officers fired after the man moved toward one of them and came within 3 to 4 feet.
“One of the witnesses described it as a suicide by cop,” Dotson said.

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 06:01:03 |Display all floors
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 10:01:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-8-20 12:05
yipman2.1 Post time: 2014-8-20 10:58
Could it be that their police force is largely made up of racist rednecks? Just a thought.

i think there is a communication gap between the police and the general population. There is a problem of hypocrisy and image, propagated by the media. The police have very great powers in the USA. They do not tolerate any disobedience, especially from blacks and certain sections of the population. This is the unwritten/unspoken rule. The media and politicians contribute to this deliberate misperception. They want to hide the fact that their police have discretion to shoot and kill who they want to. Among the general population and the world over, there is a desire to create an image of the USA as a very just, equal state with police treating all with equal respect and courtesy. This is all the more a priority, because the USA meddles and comments on civil rights in all parts of the world. There is a false perception promoted that the police rules of engagement/shooting is the same for all in the USA. The truth is, that is not the case. It is better to acknowledge this and say out clearly, spell it out for the youth who are ignorant of these facts. That would actually save lives! But then, all lives are not considered of equal value.. A very sad state of affairs.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 10:11:45 |Display all floors
Excuse Me! What about the safety of the officers? If you are stupid enough to approach a police officer with a weapon let alone agitated and saying "kill me now" you deserve to be shot!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2014-8-20 10:13:36 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-8-19 18:01
i think there is a communication gap between the police and the general population. There is a prob ...

It seems the same members that are so against capital punishment are OK with shooting people for petty crimes.

Maybe snaky and his supporters take race into consideration.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 10:19:36 |Display all floors
And as far as the town of Ferguson if you are out after a curfew is imposed and looting or rioting you deserve to be arrested or shot.
I'm sure some of the citizens (Afro Americans) are ashamed of the way their people are responding to this situation.
The facts are not even in.
And the good Rev. Al Sharpton is nothing but a racist arsonist fanning the flames for his own self interests.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 10:21:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-8-20 12:23
DMZappa Post time: 2014-8-20 12:11
Excuse Me! What about the safety of the officers? If you are stupid enough to approach a police offi ...

This young man obviously did not expect to be killed. Just because an upset person says "Shoot me", should the police shoot him? Is this the kind of training they get? He did not pose a threat to the police. They could have kept their distance from him.

Well, that is what I say - let the general population know the rules of engagement or shoot-to-kill clearly. Advertise it and publicise it well and let the population (especially the blacks and other minorities) clearly know what to expect!! THAT WILL SAVE LIVES... It should not be about the image of the USA that they are trying to project. Make the rules and consequences very clear. Let the politicians still not mouth platitudes about 'letting the people protest' or 'ensure no heavy-handedness of the police'... etc.
I would truly respect an honest dictatorship more than one that hides under the facade of a tolerant democracy..
yet, they support people who burn buildings, attack and kill police officers in Ukraine! - talking of their legitimate right to 'protest'! What hypocrites !!
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.