Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 17)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-19 15:36:52 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-8-19 06:12
Q1:
Is marihuana legal in your country? What's your point of view on marihuana legalization?

Trust RATfink to know the difference between a rat and a mouse.   

Notice that when used in descriptions of a person, a rat is a person who cheats or 'spills the beans' (lets out a secret)  and a mouse is a coward or shy person.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-19 16:37:12 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2014-8-19 15:36
Trust RATfink to know the difference between a rat and a mouse.   

Notice that when used in des ...

I'll go a bit further with rat and mouse if I may.

A rat is someone who "rats out" other people, that is they tell the authorities what others have been up to, normally it's associated with criminal endeavour or untoward conduct of some manner.  eg. "He ratted us out to the cops".  "She ratted on you to the boss"

Rat can also be used to mean someone who is a low life (scum), or is two faced in the western meaning. A common use of the word rat is found in "You dirty rat" which is often used to describe someone who does something that is despicable such as telling tales to a woman to poison a relationship she has with another man. It's almost always used to describe a male.  

A mouse on the other hand is someone who is scared, or afraid to do something. It's usually applied to women who are sky and retiring in nature, or someone who won't say what's on their mind and is indecisive about saying what they think.  It's also used to describe a shade of brown hair that's quite light in tone. When mouse is used to describe a man it's usually in the form of something like "Are you a man or a mouse?"
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 15:41:31 |Display all floors
ye, the marihuana is discussed in these days,  because of busting some celebrities. if you ask me if the marihuana is legal, i would tell it is not comfimedly. if some one smoke the marihuana for a long time, she or he would be addicted by it. after smoking it, the people sometimes would not control himself and harm other people. they would fight each other and kill somebody, and somethings can not be redeemed. so marihuana should not be the legalization

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-20 16:47:22 |Display all floors
Marijuana is not generally legal in America. However, some communities are reversing that decision and permitting consumption but not sales... which doesn't make sense. How are you going to consume it if you can't buy it? Answer: a lot of potheads - marijuana smokers grow their own.
Within the last few years, marijuana has been deemed medically beneficial for people with heart conditions or those suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), among other ills. Thus medical marijuana is legal, but the user must carry his doctor's permission slip and show it on demand.
There is talk of legalizing marijuana in every state. As far as I know, that is still being debated in every state across the country.
FUN FACT: marijuana is Spanish for Marie Jane, a girl's name. I have no idea how it came to be named that.
NUMBERED NAMES: I believe it was Ratfink that correctly said monarchs have numbers after their names to distinguish which Elisabeth or Henry is being discussed. The Pope also has a numbered name: John, Benedict, etc...
FUN FACT: In the old days people did not have a family name and a given name. They were identified by a given name - Paul, Marie, Elizabeth; and the region they came from. Jesus of Nazareth is a popular example. As more children were born in the same region and names were few, people started identifying themselves by their trade: Cooper (barrel maker), for example, or other attributes. Thus, the barrel maker's son, Paul, became Paul Cooper.
Names that start with 'Fitz...': Fitzpatrick, Fitzgibbon, and so on: 'Fitz' means 'son of'. Thus you might meet a Samuel Fitzpatrick and know that that person is Sam, Patrick's son.  
I hope you are not bored by all this extra information. It might be handy knowing how names came to be, just like how names in China come about.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-20 16:51:16 |Display all floors
"Feature" can also mean 'include', such as: 'a TV show featuring Lady Gaga', or 'a band featuring lead guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen'.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-20 17:05:25 |Display all floors
Alamaomao Post time: 2014-8-19 15:03
i think there is some problem about the fifth question;
I 服了you means i am shocked by you,but it c ...

l think according to the intonation and feeling of the speaker,or even the occasions that he is in,l think that the chinese '服'may get different meanings.Sometimes it means someone admire another one;sometimes it means he is getting angery at another one etc.So we cannot tell them apart just in the way how we face the three words literally.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-21 00:07:00 |Display all floors
Many European royals have I, II, even VIII after their names, for example Elizabeth I, Elizabeth II, Henry VIII. Where do these come from?
That is because they were preceded by a royal of the same name. The next English queen who has the name Elizabeth will be called Elizabeth III

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.