Author: Rearwindow

Is Chinese culture 'highly regarded' in the West?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-15 20:34:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2014-8-15 20:36
coralbay Post time: 2014-8-15 18:35
Way to go in putting down an entire nation. You must be real proud of yourself for that comment.

Not me. Ask the U.S. Congress why there have been repeated attempts by the Republicans to abolish the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) which was established in 1965 to promote arts in the U.S.A. Here's a comment by artist William Powhida comparing the private art market in New York with the U.S. government funding of the NEA:

"If you had a 2 percent tax just on the auctions in New York you could probably double the NEA budget in two nights"

Just ONE NIGHT of auction at Christie's in New York can easily fetch one billion dollars. The current funding for the NEA is US$146 million dollars for ONE YEAR.

So to be more accurate, I would have to correct my earlier statement and say that rich people in the U.S.A. do have Culture (with a capital C) -- because they can afford it. But for the rest of the residents and citizens of the U.S.A., let them keep up with the Kardashians 24x7x365.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-15 20:41:34 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-15 20:52:05 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2014-8-15 18:35
Way to go in putting down an entire nation. You must be real proud of yourself for that comment.

As a American I have never taken offense at the "Usa has no culture comment".  In fact I view it as one of Americas greatest strengths.  

Culture is nothing more then the practice of traditions.  An while most traditions start out well the world changes an the tradition being practiced could become irrelevant or even a negative on society.  The country that can adapt an change will often come out ahead.  

A good example of this would be the movement of woman into heavy industry in WW2.  Something that happened quickly in the US.  But Japan,  Even when facing massive manpower shortages never moved woman into heavy industry.  

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change."  (Leon C. Megginson)   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-15 20:52:30 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2014-8-15 20:41
NEA funding is irrelevant to your original comment or shall we say, put down.

"It's impossible for ...

Please read my reply carefully. My point is that the U.S.A doesn't give a sh-t whether its citizens have any Culture or not. Instead, U.S. citizens are bombarded with mindless sports/entertainment/advertising 24x7x365. Rich people, on the other hand, can and do buy Culture as long as they can afford it. In effect, Culture is privatized rather than supported by the State. Contrast that situation in the U.S.A. to other Western countries such as France, then you'd know what I am talking about. If you've been to the Louvre, then you can see the importance that France places on Culture which is ostensibly lacking in the U.S.A.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-15 20:54:29 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-8-15 18:52
To All posters.

Ladies and gentlemen,

What about bulldogs Ratfink....
are they excused
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-15 20:59:16 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2014-8-15 20:54
What about bulldogs Ratfink....
are they excused

No they aren't Parcher...
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-15 21:01:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2014-8-15 21:08
forget-me-not Post time: 2014-8-15 20:18
Should open an independent thread and talk about it,and clarify the rules. I welcome that.

I will see what I can do.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.