Prime Minister Georges Clemenceau, in a speech delivered to the French
Senate on 20 February 1918, ...
We are going to offer civilisation to the Blacks. They will have to pay for
that
...I would prefer that ten Blacks are killed rather than one
Frenchman – although I immensely respect those brave Blacks –, for I
think that enough Frenchmen are killed anyway and that we should
sacrifice as few as possible

french or British or whoever.... this is how they rationalize their evilness. i wonder how they would like a dose of civilization themselves.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-8 07:51:01 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-8-8 05:38
This kind of exploitation goes on even today. The tactics are more sophisticated but the results the ...

Are you sure it was forced?  I'm trying to find something on it.  Wiki is saying that in 1914 India had the 'largest volunteer army in the world'.  It goes on to describe some pretty impressive figures.

Anyways, I think sometimes our own emotions on how we feel about things influence how we think the past was.  For example, did you know that native americans have fought in every one of our wars?  They fought with the british and different tribes fought with the americans against them.  They fought in every war since then.  Up to this day, there is an over-representation of native americans in the US military.  

Seems kind of shocking considering the horrible past....I mean, we're talking true genocide here.  So why would they fight in our wars?  No one is claiming any kind of coercion in this.  The reason has to be because serving in the military is a point of pride.  After all, they were the ones who taught us how to fight...  Being a warrior is better than being a slave.  You might not be able to understand it...we've led such cushy lives by comparison.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-8 07:52:13 |Display all floors
Motika Post time: 2014-8-8 06:49
from the French Colony´s 239600 Dead. If you can belive it ???

Wow...horrible!!!

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-8-8 07:53:33 |Display all floors
As they say, "even the Devil will quote the scriptures.."
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-8 07:55:16 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-8-8 05:38
This kind of exploitation goes on even today. The tactics are more sophisticated but the results the ...

1917: American Indians volunteer for WWI

Though not yet U.S. citizens, more than 10,000 American Indians serve in the U.S. Army and more than 2,000 in the U.S. Navy, according to Bureau of Indian Affairs records. American Indians enlist at high rates; fewer than one-quarter of Indians serving in the military are drafted. The rate of death and injury among American Indian soldiers is extremely high because they are often assigned dangerous scouting assignments—missions that many of them view as opportunities to demonstrate their strength as warriors.

Warrior traditions in American Indian cultures are part of the education even of young recruits born after the last Indian Wars. Stories of the strength and discipline of warriors are part of the oral tradition that parents and grandparents share with them.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-8-8 09:57:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-8-8 13:29

to put things in perspective here about 'volunteering'....

less men volunteer to fight than women who volunteer to go into prostitution. It is particularly ironic and sick when the men whose race and culture were virtually wiped out in genocide or slavery 'volunteer' to fight on behalf of the master. It is the same as if girls from the victims of systematic rape and sexual abuse 'volunteer' to go into prostitution in seeking a better life or to keep alive a tradition of sexual exploitation. There may be those who see no other way to make a living and support a family. This shows the depths to which human cruelty and venality has sunk.
This, considering that fighting to defend one's home, people and culture is  considered an honourable thing. It is cruel irony when people are dehumanized that they fight to defend the home, people and culture of the very people who wiped out one's own home, people and culture.
It might show the nobility and large heartedness of those who forgive their oppressors and fight for them, it reflects badly on the character and limitless greed of the oppressor who further exploits a crushed people.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-8 12:38:16 |Display all floors
like I said the mindset in 1914 was so different than now

volunteers from people who if you are thinking with a 2014 mindset will struggle to comprehend.
You will actually question the sanity of those volunteers, but it will be wrong.
As in 1914 it was different world with different values.

King and country, empire
honourable death etc.
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.