Views: 7054|Replies: 38

Sovereignty Is More Important Than Democracy   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-16 12:36:56 |Display all floors
Why?  Because democracy is but one expression of the sovereign will of the people.  In times of war, calamity, or unrest, the sovereign will of the people can be expressed in alternative forms of government, such as during martial law.  The mere absence of a democratic vote does not invalidate the sovereignty of the people and the government that defends it.

There is no excuse for any foreigner or local Chinese in Hong Kong to reject the sovereignty of their own country, China, in the name of democracy.

Democracy is just one form, sovereignty is the basic substance, of nationhood.  All countries have at one time or another abandoned democracy when the sovereignty of their nation is endangered by its slowness and divisiveness.  There is no exception, and China does not have to be that exception.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-16 12:46:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2014-7-16 12:49

For an individual, it is also more important to have sovereignty of your country, than democracy.

Why?

Because it is the sovereignty of your country that guarantees your life, your livelihood, your property, and your personal safety.  Just having a vote, without a sovereign government to guarantee your right to your land, your home, your livelihood, and your survival, is meaningless.  It is a meaningless choice, that guarantees none of your life, liberty or pursuit of happiness, as such would depend on the good graces of foreigners, and only when it suits their own interests.  A vote without a sovereign government is like writing yourself a blank check without funds in your own bank account.  

Democracy without sovereignty is a blatant lie.

It is also a cruel hoax, as the French Revolution proved to be, when the poor, the Les Miserables, were rewarded with the Reign of Terror by the instigators of the French Revolution, when they realized their poverty was compounded by runaway inflation that made even the alms they receive from begging absolutely worthless.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2014-7-16 12:52:29 |Display all floors
There is no democracy in the U.S.
The rich own this nation and they trot out a few candidates to choose from every so often.
All of them are bound to fulfill the wishes of the rich that put them in those positions.
Democracy is not possible in a capitalist nation.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-16 13:01:21 |Display all floors
You don't you say keeping your Lord happy is more important than food for your stomach?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-16 13:02:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2014-7-16 13:40
abramicus Post time: 2014-7-16 12:46
For an individual, it is also more important to have sovereignty of your country, than democracy.

W ...

Why don't  you say keeping your Lord happy is more important than food for your stomach

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-16 16:34:47 |Display all floors
So, you are trying to say democracy is good or not ?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-16 16:42:09 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2014-7-16 12:52
There is no democracy in the U.S.
The rich own this nation and they trot out a few candidates to cho ...

As scary as it seems I do agree with you. Sometimes Robert the fog clears for you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.