Views: 4593|Replies: 10

Should patients stop giving 'red envelopes' to doctors? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-7-14 16:30:44 |Display all floors
Although Medical Practitioner Law states that doctors are not allowed to ask for, or illegally accept, money or other benefits from patients, it is very common for a Chinese family to give hongbao (Money wrapped up with red envelopes) to a surgeon who is about to perform a procedure on a family member, which has been a hidden rule for decades.

You may argue that this practice was unethical bribery, because it sought to bias the doctor in one’s favor. But that's the very reason why they are doing it.

My father has undertaken lung surgeries for twice, and each time we asked the surgeons and others out for dinner and give Hongbao, though the money was not much. We felt that only if they were happy, we would be less worried.

Early this year, National Health and Family Planning Commission demanded that by May 1 all hospitals at level two and above sign an agreement with their inpatients within 24 hours of their hospitalization, in which both parties promise that they won't give or accept "red envelopes" or luxury gifts.

It sounds all great, but I doubt if it will work out in that way. Suppose you had a child who's going under a surgery in China, would you give Hongbao to the surgeon? and why?  

Does this kind of "bribery" exist in your country?  How can China eradicate this ugly tradition?
Shine some of your wisedom here

Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-14 16:33:06 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-14 16:35:37 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-7-14 17:01:41 |Display all floors
The doctors I have met or known in India, USA or Australia have all never asked for or accepted a red envelope. I dont think the presence or absence of it has made any difference in their conduct. How are doctors paid in China? are their salaries or take home pay much higher than the average? That certainly seems to be the case wherever I have lived. However, if the doctor was poor, not paid and served someone, they certainly deserve to be compensated and thanked, just like any others - teachers, nurses, lawyers and car mechanics... anyone who is not well compensated can deserve a fair return. i have known doctors who are themselves 'poor' out of their own choice and go around serving people. Dont get me wrong - they are usually well fed, clothed etc from the genuine small fees or things people give them - they just dont care for fancy cars, mansions, gadgets etc. Just use their skills and knowledge to help people and accept anything someone gives out of gratitude  instead of a salary or pay- not something as extra over and above their pay.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-14 17:34:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2014-7-14 17:36
KIyer Post time: 2014-7-14 17:01
The doctors I have met or known in India, USA or Australia have all never asked for or accepted a re ...

Doctor is one of the well-paying jobs in China, especially those who are working in major cities.
Apart from the basic pay they are taking monthly, they have commision out of every prescription they give from Medical companies.

Generally speaking, the more skilled a doctor is, the more he or she can get under the table

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-14 17:46:13 |Display all floors
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-14 21:42:05 |Display all floors
If i am the patient ,i will not give red envolope to my doctor .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.