Author: JFenix

How far should one go to respect cultural norms when traveling?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-11 22:21:44 |Display all floors
For my own safety and because I consider myself a "guest" when in foreign cultures, I try not to offend. And I think that, with the passage of time, most big cultural differences will disappear due to media like this.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-12 00:00:04 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2014-7-10 11:29
Well, one would assume one would check the relevant laws before choosing a travel destination.

If I ...

There are many beaches in the U.S. where women are allowed to go topless.  The closest to my home is "Black's Beach" near San Diego.  Check your facts better.  At Black's Beach, any clothing is "optional", in other words it is a public, yes public, nude beach.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-12 00:06:20 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-7-11 11:42
People police themselves.
Even tho its legal, you never see it.

Boob Painting Booths 'all in fun'.  How degrading for women to use their breasts as entertainment.  I am amazed at how you pick and choose so easily what is degrading and what is not for women.  Why do they only paint women?  You don't see this as sexist?  You're a strange duck.
First you rant about the degradation of women then it's off to paint boobs.  
You find the customs, traditions and laws of other countries degrading to you, as has been stated earlier, it's simple:  Don't go.  I love the way you try to force your moral values or lack there of on the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-12 00:08:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-7-11 16:48
She doesn't know the Chinese concept of a "da shu"...

She appears to only have her own concepts of the world and they had better fit hers or they are wrong.  It must be nice to think of oneself as a complete goddess.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-12 00:13:47 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-7-11 19:33
To each his own.

I find it demoralizing.

In your culture, when you cover something up its because of shame.  So this is why you wear clothes?  Such a rebel  as you are, I would expect either you do not wear clothes in public, or that you are ashamed of your body.
I've never seen anyone on this forum who is more adept at talking out both sides of her mouth at the same time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-12 00:20:13 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-7-10 11:36
I agree that one shouldn't go there to start with.

But saying its okay to go there and face discr ...

So, in the same vein, a man from a country that allows polygamy would NOT face discrimination and comments if he took a Disneyland vacation and brought all his wives with him?  This is simply the shoe on the other foot, however your shoe fits only one foot, yours, which determines how and what the world should be, all in line with your personal beliefs.
Why would you even start this forum?  It's simply to get your name in lights again?  It's really quite ridiculous to start a thread about why countries have laws, norms, traditions and how much you hate them so you will never go there.  I would expect most sane people would NOT go to countries with laws, norms, and traditions that are so far from their own.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-12 00:21:41 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-7-11 23:20
I somewhow knew before I even read any posts in this thread that you would misuse this thread to ...

You forgot to include men in there, of course, unless they are much younger than she is and are lusting her 'qualities' as she has admitted to many times in earlier postings.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.