Views: 7959|Replies: 43

How far should one go to respect cultural norms when traveling?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-10 11:02:51 |Display all floors
I generally believe that one should always be respectful of countries they visit.  Its like going into someone's home - be polite and respectful.
But are there exceptions?  What if the cultural norm was racist?

Would it be fair to say to an african-american that traveling to a racist country to 'respect the culture' and sit at the back of the bus?  To not use the same restrooms?  Drinking fountains?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-10 11:07:00 |Display all floors
I see racism in the little things in Australia not the big things. Respect is like as winning door,MIT swings both ways.  

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-10 11:07:59 |Display all floors
I hate this ipad

MIT = It

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-10 11:21:29 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-7-10 11:07
I hate this ipad

MIT = It

lol

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-10 11:29:04 |Display all floors
Well, one would assume one would check the relevant laws before choosing a travel destination.

If I were to go to Saudi Arabia with my wife she would have to wear long sleeves and a hijab. When we went to Indonesia we could not go to a mosque because my wife had her period.
If we were to go to the Us my wife could not be topless on the beach.

The question is can one accept this or not. If one cannot accept this then one should go to a different country.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-10 11:36:17 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2014-7-10 11:29
Well, one would assume one would check the relevant laws before choosing a travel destination.

If I ...

I agree that one shouldn't go there to start with.

But saying its okay to go there and face discrimination as a 'cultural norm' is a bit ridiculous.

Its wrong to tell your wife or any woman that she should cover her head and body to 'show respect'.  

Its offensive.  

Why would you put your wife through that?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-10 12:06:20 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-7-10 11:36
I agree that one shouldn't go there to start with.

But saying its okay to go there and face discr ...

I wouldn't, that's why I wouldn't go there. For the mosque we didn't know the rule, we learnt about it when we were there and we respected it.

But I find the norm of forbidding women to be topless on the beach if they want to is equally ridiculous.

I believe it's wrong to tell any woman she should cover her breasts when on the beach to show respect.

I believe it's offensive.

Who are you to decide what is ridiculous and what is not ? If I go to California I am not allowed to eat foie gras ! In the US non pasteurized cheese is illegal. In Australia it is not illegal to add sugar to wine ! As a French I find this utterly ridiculous but I do not try to force my norms on you.

We go back to my original statement : make some research and decide if you want to go there or not.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.