Author: admin

Forum trends: Should Chinese care about "face"?[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-10 15:00:48 |Display all floors
I don't think it cares about face.It just a different cutural habits.Since ancient time,Chinese is more humility.When we find people who make a mistake,we will tell them in other politely way instead of pick out error immediately.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 14:17:23 |Display all floors
Many of these posts suggest that western people do not care about losing face. I think this is not the case, only that the way of losing face is different between east and west. For instance, MichaelM (US) suggests that some Chinese people will lie to save face. I, on the other hand, pride myself on not lying and would therefore lose face by doing so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 17:34:29 |Display all floors
zangguo Post time: 2014-7-8 22:49
Only weak, unsure people worry about face. If you have any intelligence you will know do what is rig ...

not true. otherwise considered strong chinese people, they care about face. it is only culture.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 17:48:31 |Display all floors
Judyyim Post time: 2014-7-10 15:00
I don't think it cares about face.It just a different cutural habits.Since ancient time,Chinese is m ...

you wont know freedom until you experience a culture that doesnt care about face at all. i agree it is more polite to gently hint at a mistake rather than directly point it out, but its time consuming. asians wont say no to me, they will stay quiet until i give the correct answer and then nod. it is nice but why not just say so? if you say it kindly though directly, i would still think you are a nice person. then i dont have to guess, its tiring...

funnily enough freedom is not about the government so much as it is about societal values...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 17:53:22 |Display all floors
xyldor Post time: 2014-7-21 14:17
Many of these posts suggest that western people do not care about losing face. I think this is not t ...

there is no losing face in the west at all ...im only reminded of the concept when i arrive in asia. more than a few times, asians get mad at me because i unintentionally didnt give them face, because i dont know the rules, but its never happened with westerners in all my life. i also didnt understand when i was younger what was going on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 11:01:32 |Display all floors
Face = Hypocrisy. The problem lies with what people will do to  maintain "face". There is no such thing as a perfect person. To some ... keeping up a face sometimes means doing things that are illegal .... thus that encourages crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-14 13:30:57 |Display all floors
One thing though... Face and modesty are two different concepts. Not a good idea to combine them together. Society has laws that dictate what is acceptable clothing. This is to ensure harmony. Want to show off your hot bod? Go to the beach, not at by the road at traffic hour. (Accidents !!) It is a matter of consideration not an issue of "face".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.