Views: 4438|Replies: 19

Forum trends: Should Chinese care about "face"?[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-5 06:03:49 |Display all floors
Editor's note: The Chinese concept of "face", or 'mianzi', is part of our culture but complicated bit difficult for Westerners to understand. For one thing, is face really important for social interactions? Here, our expat readers share their views and you're welcome to leave your own comments.

frklxklx (France)

Chinese care a lot about what other people think of them. In the West, it's very dif ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-5 06:03:50 |Display all floors
When a straw man fallacy is forced on us, and also, when we are forced by non-workers to act to our own demise by non-workers who hold us hostage and who threaten us, then we are not losing face since all those activities are attributable only to the threatening hostage holders whose ideas they are. For example, when Germany stole the printing press from China, a straw man fallacy was put on China, of "developing and being incapable of inventing," intended by the thieves to make China incapable of arguing China invented the printing press. Through subsequent bad trade relations, the theft algorithms tried to force China into economic sanctions while hoping to blame China for the sanctions and the bad relations. The thieves who use those algorithms are non-workers who are in cultures that insist they have to fake stupidity thus cannot invent else they get caught in their own lies. According to those thieves, China was supposed to have cooperated with China's undoing and agree to lose face. However, what country can be said to feel embarrassed by thieves calling the country bad names, forcing sanctions on the country and blaming the country for the sanctions the thieves forced? That's impossible. Clearly only the thieves lose face. Only the thieves made bad relations happen. The fact the thieves algorithms include holding us hostage by sanctions shows the thieves confess the thieves believe the relation won't endure unless forced upon us against our will, which we may concede is their unique correct insight. Did China lose face with Europe or anywhere in the world through the history of the printing press and false attributions of invention to thieves, and harm at the thieves hands trying to make China go away all these centuries? Never, and the opposite instead happened.

Whomsoever steals then accuses the victim of badness then kidnaps the victim, holds the victim hostage, forces the victim to badness in sequential attempted murder, places the victim hostage in economic sanctions, lies about the victim and claims the original theft was a gift, is who loses face, is wrong, and is guilty of attempted premeditated murder. The victims of those crimes are fully without any real experience of embarrassment at being a victim of such hostile attacks.

I survived attempted murder at the hands of those types of lazy, stupid, western-algorithm dependent non-workers. Anyone believing any lies about what happened sounds crazy. My real reputation is unharmed by lies from thieves and wannabe murderers, and I was strengthened by surviving attempted murder for a quarter of a century while police said since 1996 the vocabulary gap was too big so I wasn't allowed to report attempted murder in progress. Responsive to what was done to me that way, China will have all of China's intellectual property returned to China with history corrected to show the theft algorithms of any non-working westerners feigning stupidity to hide theft. China is only the beginning. Worldwide, all intellectual property together with wealth earned by invention goes back to the inventors, including without limitation, the wealth of the turn-key solution belonging to McDonald's. Inventors invent from an interior sense of social responsibility, so the leftist theft-based scare tactics are inapplicable. Social development will happen resulting from redirected wealthy responsive to identifying inventors. No, we do not feel embarrassed we survived attempted murder at the hands of stupid thieves whose hope of life is theft and lies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-5 09:21:41 |Display all floors
the concept of face is one of the most negative aspects of chinese culture. it is not so complicated as you say, westerners do understand it, although they may not know all the rules. it exists to some extent in other parts of asia, but nowhere is it as bad as it is in china. you have to lie about stupid things to save face, but honesty is not important? you can't go back to your family because you haven't made enough money, so just forget love and friendship when people are down....face-saving is bad enough when you care about what strangers think, but it is also practiced within the family. you can't tell your parents or your wife or your husband the truth because you need to save face.

some people say this is the equivalent of getting respect in the west. but while westerners care about respect, they don't care about what others think. it is a happier kind of existence, where it's enough what you think about yourself.

honestly, it's one of the reasons i am happy i don't live in china. chinese people sometimes bring this concept of face-saving with them to foreign lands and it really annoys me to have to deal with them. please, you are not in china.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-7 11:48:18 |Display all floors
I was thinking about this yesterday. chinese people are more likely to burp, fart, spit, eat noisily, dress strangely, wear pajamas out on the street, have dirty facades to their buildings etc. Yet they are so worried about their behaviour and actions related to themselves, IE saving face. In Australia (I won't be prejudice by saying 'the west') we would do almost none of those former things, yet things that would lose face in China, we would happily do. we certainly wouldn't let out boss make a massive mistake because we don't want him to lose face, we insult our friends readily, we say what we think when we want etc
Funny how opposite cultures can be

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-8 06:52:55 |Display all floors
For a gallery of people who have no pride, decency or self respect, please visit www.peopleofwalmart.com I'll take 面子 over someone's bare bottom, lack of/showing too much underwear and men dressing in women's clothing any day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-8 22:49:39 |Display all floors
Only weak, unsure people worry about face. If you have any intelligence you will know do what is right without worrying about face. I noticed this fear of "Losing face" being widespread in third world countries.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-7-10 12:06:28 |Display all floors
Not sure China people really care or understands about so-called  'Loosing Face' after 7 year and many city, town and village, I observe frequently people encountering threats, abuse, shouting, slapping, kicking and beating each other in a public areas. Often men beating women more-so vise versa. Boyfriends-girlfriends in a state of emotional and irretional distress, people in stores being abusive and agressive to the assistants because they 'think' they are more special or important.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.