Author: admin

Forum trends: Laowai, is the term offensive?[10]- Chinadaily.com.cn     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-21 20:08:45 |Display all floors
i would even chose to be called a "lao wai" than calling me "hei gui".over the years i have grown with this  and is part of my daily music. chinese will refer to whites as "lai wai" and to blacks as "hei ren".i remeber once in a bus i was with this British guy and a child refered to us as "lao wai" but her mother said no i am a "hei ren" meaning i am a black man as if being black doesn't attributes to the term "lao wai".when i hear this i just say what the french used to say."le chien aboie la caravene passe".the good thing is that, is these same people who call me names that are helping me amassing wealth.to those who are making my day,i say thank you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-12 21:31:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tainan-liu at 2015-6-13 07:03

Some people may not understand what the words lao wai mean in Chinese but most English speaking people I've met detest the English word "foreigner", which is really an English word made up by Chinese to describe racial minorities in China. But to prove a point that "laowai" or "foreigner" are actually used to describe a persons appearance, many Chinese (mainlanders) traveling abroad have been overheard calling local people in other countries either "foreigners" or "laowai". Most of my white friends said it would be more polite to call them white people (bairen) or black people heiren (I've seen others comments here may not agree) as it does not refer to your status in the country, China or elsewhere. Foreign means strange or unknown, that a person does not belong there, they are unusual, very impolite.
If you know for a fact that someone is visiting the country or that they are holding a foreign passport, you can refer to them as a visitor or a foreign national which is much more polite.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-6-12 21:59:43 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-7-3 10:46
It's never bothered me at all to be called laowai or Gweilo. I call myself it all the time.

we have some workers from Guangdong here....
I often call them the Guangdong gweilos....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 06:49:47 |Display all floors
voy date. 2014-7-3 18:10
                                Laowai = foreigner in term of China peoples.

Direct tranlate 老外 = old foreigner
In most countries you cannot determine whether or not a person is a foreigner by looking at their face, hair, etc. And for those, so called foreigners, who are Chinese residents or who have become citizens, they aren't actually "foreigners" but they are being called foreigners based on their appearance. That is racism.
In English foreign means unknown, strange. A person established in a country is not strange or unknown.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 11:31:38 |Display all floors
laowai sounds more polite than gweilo, so live with it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-23 14:21:26 |Display all floors
We Chinese can not identity where the foreigners are from immediately,so we can foreigners as “LAOWAI”in general.So do not feel be offended.I love foreigners very mucn,and they help me a lot!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-25 16:22:37 |Display all floors
Laowai=waiguoren same thing. Dont read too much into this.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.