Views: 5234|Replies: 11

Forum Trends: Keeping pace with China's crazy drivers[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-26 09:35:54 |Display all floors
Editor's note: Foreigners are often astonished by the daring and sometimes dangerous tactics of Chinese drivers. Here is what our expat readers have shared about learning to survive on China's roads.

ManfromEngland (UK)

I also drive a car in China. In the city it's not too bad as no one can drive very fast most of the time, but it's a different story on the highway. Looking through my windsc ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 09:36:01 |Display all floors
Chinese drivers must be learned to be considerate and polite in giving ways to pedestrians and other vehicles... In other words, they must be good drivers!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 10:59:06 |Display all floors
I LIVE in Kunming, one Saturday morning on a round trip of 18 km, I saw 5 accidents. On the road I drive to and from work, a round trip of 20km, I saw, on average, at least two accidents per week. Some days, there are more than one accidents. Many drivers have no concept of lanes. I guess they grow up in villages where there is no lane to speak of. When they buy cars, they simply drive like animals they use to herd. This is the hardest thing for me to get use to after living overseas for 20+ years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 11:01:36 |Display all floors
I agree with weisenheimer 100%

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 11:08:19 |Display all floors
Chinese insurers do not punish bad drivers, one can have 4 accidents and not to have their premium raised. If they have more, then they switch company. This has to change before people act more civilized behind the wheels.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 15:02:17 |Display all floors
"I've seen many accidents all over the world and given Chinese driving "styles" I'm amazed I haven't seen more here. I think China just needs time to develop the laws which work for them and then enforce them properly."

Come off it! There are rules -- when I earned my Chinese drivers license I took a written test. The problem is the rules and laws I learned for the test are simply unenforced.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-27 17:06:36 |Display all floors
I think that one has to forget about their past driving habits from the country that they've come from. Being on high alert while driving in China is an understatement. One needs to have their head on a swivel as something can come out of nowhere at any time. Be it pedestrian, scooter, bicycle etc. I've driven in many different cities though out China and to me, the bigger the city the better the drivers overall. The hardest road trip for me was in 2013 for the National holiday from Changsha to Guilin and back. Yikes you haven't driven until you've taken a road trip during a holiday in China. Red lights? You can turn right on a red light here without stopping. It's perfectly legal. A red arrow is different and one needs to stop until it turns green. Lastly in the U.S., you can turn right on a red light but need to stop and make sure it's safe to do so.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.