Home / Forum / China watch

More than just a restaurant

Markus83

May 08, 2024, 18:17

Photo: Courtesy of Guo Zhanglong

As the Chinese community grows in Paris, many French people are surrounded by an increasing number of Chinese friends. Through conversations, these French people have discovered many aspects of present-day China that differ from their previous perceptions, leading to more understanding. 

Taking advantage of these opportunities, some have traveled to China to witness its current situation firsthand. Upon returning, they eagerly share their insights with their French friends.

Some old customers often bring their French friends to their establishments for meals, taking the opportunity to introduce them to authentic Chinese flavors they have likely never experienced before. Over dinner, they share their perspectives and insights about China, fostering cultural exchanges in an informal setting.

"Sometimes I feel that we have turned my small restaurant into a little gathering site for cultural exchanges between China and France. This is something I didn't expect, but I'm proud that we might have achieved it accidentally," he said.

Guo said it's not something that could be accomplished by his efforts alone. Instead, it is the efforts of all French friends interested in Chinese culture and Chinese friends who love France, and the efforts of every individual that have eventually led to this result.

When he first came to Paris over 10 years ago, Guo could hardly see any Chinese brands, though there were plenty of Chinese products. But 10 years later, there are some Chinese brands of new energy vehicles, mobile phones, computers, and cameras in Paris, something that he is very proud of. Moreover, over the last decade, Paris has seen the opening of many authentic Chinese restaurants.

A French customer told the Global Times that although she doesn't live in Paris, she often visits the city. "I like to visit Chinese restaurants in Paris because, in my city, there are no such restaurants. But here, the food is original and completely different, like the food I have tasted here."

She said her children learned a little Chinese in middle school, and they have also traveled to China.

As Guo said, "We have the feeling that it's actually the continuous exchanges and cooperation between ordinary people of both countries that have slowly accumulated into such friendly relations between the two countries." 

0 852
no post