Home / Forum / Language learning

How to learn English grammar

SEARU

Nov 10, 2023, 09:42

According to that dictionary grammar is how to put words in the right order to make a sentence.  But in Chinese we usually think grammar(语法 yu-fa) as ‘speaking method’ or ‘the way of saying something'.  As you see Chinese and foreigners explain the  same  word in different ways that is determined by the different culture backgrounds.  When you do translation job,you have re-arrange the word-order of the original sentences.  This is a headache for chinese students to accept English grammar. Some teachers force the poor children to memorize the sentence patterns. It is a pity for both teaching and learning.  Here I would like to share my teaching experience with reader friends as the following:

a.   To make a positive statement: 

I am a farmer.    (All people around the world say it in the same  way.)

b.   To make a negative statement:      I am not a farmer.  

The word-order sounds quite special for Chinese!It should be read as “I am (not a farmer).“ instead of ‘(I am not )a farmer.".      And the reasonable translation should be ”我是非农民.“   It seems that foreigners have strong sense of judgement whose judging always first  starting from the verb ’be' no matter the statement is positive or not.   Through grammar we can sense the cultural difference.   

(To be continued)

3 975
SEARU

In the class that child asked me:’Have you been abroad before?”I replied:“No, I have not been to any foreign country. But I read English newspaper every day and I often feel that I am traveling around the world all the time!” Language is the best window through which you can see more about the foreign custom and culture.  You had better forget your native language when you learn a foreign one. Put yourself into the foreign environment and sense their real atmosphere. You willl make quick progress on learning.”

SEARU

Yes, foreigners (do) have strong sense of judgement!  For an example:

He (is) reading newspaper.  他(是)在读报纸。 (In Chinese we have no such a  ‘is' in the sentence. ) .

He is (not reading).

“Be" is a hot word on judging. Foreigners always offer you a clear meaning on something no matter it is positive or negative. 

She did something.

She did (not stay at home) .    (She did a negative action.) 

In China it is wrong for teachers to take ‘didn't' as a phrase!  In fact ’not‘ has more closer relationship with the following words rather than ’did'!

SEARU

Native Chinese feel strange about the present perfect tense. Such as 'I have seen President Xi. "  ( 我见过习主席。)   Some teachers explain the sentence  in this way:” The word ‘have' has no real meaning that just helps you finish the tense. “   In fact Searu thinks every word has real meaning especially for the commonly used ’have'! In my mind,it seems that foreigners take their action as ‘property’.   ”I have done some deeds‘ is equal to the Chinese saying “我有作为'(wo you  zuo wei.)  -----I have achieved something.  Such ’have(有)" emphasizes the action.   For another example: I have eaten too much, I am quite full and can't eat any more.  Certainly the food I had just now is a kind of fortune for my stomach. In this sense,we must pay enough attention to our words and actions since all of these may become great property for us!You will benifit from your doing.