Home / Forum / Language learning

What is 智 in the end

SEARU

Oct 24, 2023, 17:36

In Chinese 智(zhi, the forth tone) means 'wisdom‘ , “intelligence’ ,‘clever’ or ‘wise' and so on.  Why?  How to understand her body language? This question has puzzled me for a long time.  Now let’s have a close look as the following:

In fact the ancient form of 智 is composed by an arrow,one mouth plus ‘a man’.  That shows the man tells that he has been hit by arrow (from the enemy).

矢(shi, the fourth tone) is ancient saying of ‘arrow’.  大(da, the forth tone) shapes like a big man who are stretching out the legs and  arms.  The top part of 矢 (without 大)looks really like an arrow.  So 矢 represents the hunting tool: arrow!

知 (zhi, the first tone) means 'know,or knowledge’. 

What is the bottom of 智?  You may take it as 日 (ri,the forth tone) which means ‘the Sun’.  The whole picture of 智 shows that Tom is so knowledgeable that  he is as bright as the Star!

However, Searu personally thinks that the lower component of 智 should be 曰(yue, the first tone) that means ‘say or saying’.  The flat 口 shapes like the mouth and the short horizon line in the middle is the every tongue.  So the  character 曰(yue) shows that you are saying something.  If I am right,the appearance of 智 indicates that it is great wisdom to tell what you have known! When you speak, the arrow-like words from the mouth can hit the target! How  clever you are! 

(Special note:曰(yue) is different from 日(ri)!  The former is short and flat while the latter is tall and thin. )

1 960
SEARU

(The picture above comes from the Internet which should have been uploaded going with the original text but failed due to my poor computer skill.  It is this information that encouraged me to complete the post. )

In the photo,子(zi, the third tone)looks like a man with arms and big head. That means 'son'.  Here it just symbols ‘a person' .

For average citizen,智 means his or her language ability to express the useful ideas.  

In China,the great leader Chairman Mao is powerful whose teachings act as ’rocket‘ that has played an important role in the cause of revolution and construction.  He is really wise (智)!