Home / Forum / China watch

China targets underground camera peeping industry

zaq

Jun 12, 2021, 15:14

Chinese authorities have launched a nationwide campaign against the underground industry relevant to camera peeping.

The operation from May to August, per a decision made by the Cyberspace Administration of China and three other government agencies, aims to better protect individual privacy as camera peeping-related illegal practices have severely infringed upon privacy and become an issue of concern to many.

Recent years, according to officials, saw lawless individuals hack into and control security cameras in citizens' homes and public places, convert smartphones and smart bracelet bands into camera peeping kits, as well as sell crack software and spread peeping techniques to peeping Toms, forming an underground industrial chain.

4 797
SEARU

My reply to Mr. Newton's first comment 
"China targets underground camera peeping industry" - if the cameras are underground then how would they be able to film anything in th ...” :

Judging from your remark above, I believe you must have a good sense of humor. Here the word ‘underground’ should mean ‘secret by illegal means'. In Chinese ’an underground factory‘ refers to 'a place where some criminals make illegal products such as fake liquor,cigarettes even drugs, and so on. In this way they can earn high profits. 

The saying of 'underground’ is a word to word translation from Chinese to English that may certainly cause some confusion.

I wish my explaining can bring you up from the underground to the Sun-shining.  Haha....

emanreus

re: "lawless individuals"

No mercy towards that lot...

wchao37

"peeing-related"?  That's what is said here subconsciously in the passage (Don't go back to correct it now!)

So "peeping" becomes "peeing" in South Asia.

I see. I see.

I can really see XXX doing that now.

Your little camera is good.

Newtown

"China targets underground camera peeping industry" - if the cameras are underground then how would they be able to film anything in the light of day?