Home / Forum / China watch

WHO approves China’s Sinopharm vaccine for emergency use

A very hungry caterpillar

May 08, 2021, 08:19

Sinopharm’s COVID-19 vaccine is the first Chinese-made shot to ever be approved for emergency use by the World Health Organization. The step affirms China’s growing scientific power, but is expected to have limited impact on vaccine supply in the short term.

As India struggles to cope with a surge of COVID-19 cases, highlighting the continuing risks of the viral disease to a still overwhelmingly unvaccinated world, official bodies have taken two steps this week to increase supply and distribution of lifesaving shots.

Earlier this week, the US government agreed to work to temporarily waive patent protections for vaccines, in a reversal of policy that was fiercely opposed by the patent holders, but supported by India and almost 60 other countries.

Today, the World Health Organization gave emergency authorization to China’s Sinopharm vaccine, the Financial Times reports, allowing the COVAX international distribution program to purchase large amounts of the shot to divvy out to developing countries.

WHO says that Sinopharm is 78.1% effective in adults aged 18–59.

7 615
emanreus
Newtown post time: 2021-05-10 18:58

re: "the coiuntry where I live there have been about 1 per cent of the fatalities and infections that you've outlined."

Not that I'm trying to be nosy,  but not everyone need to live in Taiwan or NZ.

I lived in Hawaii for a while, however, islands are not for me...

Newtown
emanreus post time: 2021-05-11 15:53

Indeed true, I have left the school "principal" behind, now I've grown up to acquire adult principles. But you can stick to the playground as you wish.

emanreus
Newtown post time: 2021-05-08 10:28

Like a kid, ain't you having any principals whatsoever in your life?

Newtown
emanreus post time: 2021-05-10 14:15

Incomparison to the coiuntry where I live there have been about 1 per cent of the fatalities andinfections that you've outlined.

emanreus
Newtown post time: 2021-05-08 10:28

Not sure what you're on about!!

How's my Country doing in comparison...

The Chinese mainland recorded 11 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, all from overseas, according to today's NHS data...

No new deaths related to COVID-19 were reported on Sunday, the NHC said.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland stands at 90,769, with the death toll remaining at 4,636...

Hong Kong: 11,807 (11,493 recoveries, 210 deaths)

Macao: 49 (49 recoveries)

Taiwan: 1,184 (1,089 recoveries, 12 deaths)

While at it:   China will continue to support Belgium, Suriname and Sudan in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Saturday...

emanreus

The Chinese mainland recorded 11 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, all from overseas, data from the National Health Commission (NHC) showed on Monday. 

No new deaths related to COVID-19 were reported on Sunday, the NHC said.

Eighteen new asymptomatic cases were recorded, while 319 asymptomatic patients are under medical observation. 

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland stands at 90,769, with the death toll remaining at 4,636. 

The total number of confirmed cases in the Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions and the Taiwan region is as follows: 

Hong Kong: 11,807 (11,493 recoveries, 210 deaths)

Macao: 49 (49 recoveries)

Taiwan: 1,184 (1,089 recoveries, 12 deaths)

Newtown

Finally approved but will have 'limited impact' and not 100% efficacious - all good ?