Most awkward Chinese-English translation fails   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-17 13:07:47 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-17 13:14:23 |Display all floors
....can't bear.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-17 14:21:01 |Display all floors
Rearwindow Post time: 2014-6-16 14:04

please protect your lipstick from clothes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-17 15:29:51 |Display all floors
Fully share with your thought thoroughly! In Beijing, a large car park sign with, '平时不停车’was translated as, 'PEACE TIME NO PARKING'. At food stalls, we saw, '一次性餐具' was 'ONE TIME SEX EATING TOOLS'!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-17 16:56:47 |Display all floors
IMO,some Chinese believe that bilingual is something high standard or international.In fact,it is not necessary to make the prompts or indicator in English for most cases.It is gilding the lily.
wind over the water

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-17 18:27:30 |Display all floors
Here are do too many stupid and funny Chinese-English translations that you can see every where throughout China. Even many government signs contain improper translations. Sometimes i ask myself "Is our Chinese people's English really so bad?" Certainly not, why not we ask others when we ourselves are not sure about a translation.

I took one photo of a "good" translation with my phone in a hospital in Zhejiang province.
What they meant to say should be " care for slippery floor".

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-6-18 08:37:11 |Display all floors
In your opening comment you say that small businesses can not afford to do the job correctly, that may or may not be true but many of the signs you then show belong to big enterprises including the railways, there is no excuse for this.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.