Views: 21491|Replies: 71

Chinese universities, joke or way to go?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-7 09:26:09 |Display all floors
I have heard from many and seen it with my own eyes...no student gets withdrawn on academic grounds, students clap hands for the teachers after he finishes his lecture, Almost everyone gets marks over 85 and i hear a lecturer who gives low marks or fails students has their salary reduced...

My own experience was whan i was in Uni in China, i submitted a paper to a laoshi at 5pm while he was going home, the next morning i went to the administration and found he had given me a 91 even before he had seen my paper....and it gets worse, my 91 was less than that of someone in the class who could barely speak English and did his paper in just two pages and largely from Wikipedia....

'Think for your damn selves' - Confucius

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-7 21:19:22 |Display all floors
Whatttttt, sounds like an easy way to get a degree! Where!! :p only joking.

Well my university here is amazing, my lecturers check my papers and give me feedback on what I can improve and are always checking up on me and offering me opportunities. Personally I find it better and less rushed that at home. Doing my university was horrible and my university was less than helpful I was glad to get my degree and get out of there as fast as possible.
But then I am studying at the best Normal teaching school so they would have no excuse if their teachers were bad.

We have to do teachers evaluation every term so it makes our teachers work harder, however they are always doing their best to make everyone pass. For a student to fail is also their failure so they do everything from extra classes to giving you more work.

The only thing that was strange was when I studied Chinese and during the first exam most students were teaching, however if caught they would be disqualified. After that exam for the rest the teachers learnt what was happening and added extra invigilators and we had to leave bags/coats and pencil cases at the front.

Something more drastic happened to my boyfriend, during his 3rd year during a very hard exam most students cheated, after that the teacher failed the whole class, the whole department knew and those students were ashamed.

On the other hand my friends boyfriend is a lawyer and he often discover cases in Chinese academia where the student has just translated an english thesis into Chinese and published it as their own for their Phd. This however happens in the west, which is why google is producing a new software to stop the cheating, should be out next year I think.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-6-7 21:35:43 |Display all floors
Chinese  universities have the best degrees money can buy.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-6-7 22:05:30 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-6-7 21:35
Chinese  universities have the best degrees money can buy.

I very tongue in cheek comment there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-7 22:58:17 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-6-7 22:05
I very tongue in cheek comment there

According to my wife it's true

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-7 23:00:05 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-6-7 22:58

Watching the men's hokey it's Australia 5 England 0. It's depressing to watch if you are English

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-6-7 23:18:16 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-6-7 22:58

At some uni's yes it is

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.