Views: 2475|Replies: 6

The real cost of Scottish Independence [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-29 01:33:00 |Display all floors
Yes and No campaigns clash over the finance behind Scottish indendpence                                          Danny Lawson; PA                 

6 hours ago                                          

TWEET

EMAIL

With both the Yes and the No campaigns for Scottish independence making their financial cases today, MSN looks at where they stand on the key economic topics.
The cost of new policies
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander has claimed that the new policies the Scottish government has said it wishes to pursue would cost £1.6bn per year.
However, the Yes campaign has denied this, saying they that the figure is misleading and that they would offset the cost through an expected increase in productivity and employment.
Oil revenue
The Treasury has stated that oil and gas revenues will fall by 95% over the next 20 years as a proportion of UK revenue – effectively halving their total value.  Currently oil revenues account for 15% of Scotland’s total economic output.
However, Scottish first minister Alex Salmond claimed the UK Government’s figures were unreliable and that they were based on an unrealistically low estimate for the cost of a barrel of oil.
Oil revenues fluctuate wildly, however, with them providing the UK government £6.6bn last year but £11.3bn the year before.
Danny Lawson; PA

National debt
UK’s national debt is currently £1.185 trillion and neither side discussed how much of that an independent Scotland would take on.
The cost of transition
The Treasury has released figures stating that the cost of setting up the infrastructure required to run Scotland would cost approximately £1.5bn – approximately 1% of its annual economic output.  This was based on plans by the Scottish government to create 180 new public bodies.
However, the Yes campaign has argued that the figures are badly wrong and that many of these bodies already exist.  They were keen to point out that two of the individuals involved in researching these figures have since questioned the methodology behind the Treasury’s numbers.
Danny Alexander did say that this was actually a “trivial” matter in the Scotland’s long term economic future.
Tax
Alex Salmond has said that a Scottish tax collection system would be 25% cheaper to run.  However, the Treasury has estimated that it will cost £700m to set up such a system and that Scottish finance minister John Swinney admitted it would cost between £525m and £625 in a private memo last year.
Danny Lawson; PA

Currency
Barclays Bank thinks Scotland is twice as likely to adopt its own currency as it is to continue with the pound, despite claims by Alex Salmond that they would be allowed to use the UK currency.
Better or worse off?
Unsurprisingly, the two sides also have different opinions on whether Scots would be wealthier or poorer post-independence.  The Yes campaign projects that each family will be £2,000 richer each year for the next fifteen years, while the No campaign predicts that each person will be £1,400 poorer over the next twenty.
A debate?
While Danny Alexander declared that he would be willing to debate the figures with Alex Salmond at any time, Scotland's first minister insisted he would only do so once he had taken on David Cameron.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-29 11:24:52 |Display all floors
It will be interesting to see how the Scots play this.

I am totally impartial on this issue and wish the Scots well either way. The very fact that our government is spending time and money to dissuade the Scots, may be galvanizing the pro-independence campaign.

Will Scotland be better off if it secedes? Well..... one could trust the politicians to fudge it either way.  
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-29 15:18:48 |Display all floors
I think they will eventually go their separate ways
it was not a happy union to begin with
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-29 16:33:11 |Display all floors
There are times when I wish the Scots would extend the border 100 miles south so the bit of England I live in could go with them - not because I hate the UK, but because like many Scots,  people in the North of England feel that  that the country is run for the London elite and the SE of England. It's not a feeling that is entirely without merit. Anyway, I guess we'll see what the Scots decide later in the year. I hope they stay, because ultimately I think the UK is more effective as a single entity, but good luck to them either way.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-29 16:49:44 |Display all floors
kevin:

Money doesn't matter because independence means no going back and it should not be seen in General election terms.Scotland the day after independence might be the richest nation or the poorest nation in the world but Scottish people will be running things.The mistakes or successes will be made by Scots for Scots and the alternative is to compare the current situation as being like a federal state.Scotland sending Scots to Westminster and the possibility of a Scot being prime minister of 60 million people.Independence should be a free Scotland of 3 million looking more like the Republic of Ireland in a world of 6 billion.Money from London is important but that is not Independence.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-5-29 23:48:57 |Display all floors
verdane Post time: 2014-5-29 16:33
There are times when I wish the Scots would extend the border 100 miles south so the bit of England  ...

Yes, London and the South of England is a much more important area within the UK

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-30 16:43:17 |Display all floors
People living there certainly think so :)

But I suppose what i'm saying is that more devolved powers to regions would make this less of an issue.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.