Author: voice_cd

Is China's gaokao the world's toughest exam?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-15 01:57:25 |Display all floors
Come all to Belgium. We don't have entrance exams for universities, everybody can start studying. You will have to work hard because end year exams are difficult. You will have no time to party or travel.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-5-15 02:05:13 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-5-9 18:09
We used to think the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) for the IITs in India used to be one of the world's t ...

Your post implies that different castes have different intelligence levels, surely that is not true

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 02:52:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-5-15 05:43:56 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-5-15 07:44
futsanglung Post time: 2014-5-15 04:05
Your post implies that different castes have different intelligence levels, surely that is not tru ...

no, my post does not imply that different castes have different intelligence levels. that is not true either. this has nothing to do really with the actual intelligence of people of different castes except that politicians try to pander to some religions or castes by promising reservation and quotas for admission with a lower standard of merit required. It plays to the lowest instincts, greed and venality of the political 'leaders' and people belonging to a community. it creates a feeling of injustice and no fair play in others, they they start to vote on divided lines of caste and not on the merit of honesty of the candidates,and that is the purpose served. surely, you understand this, it was the British who created this system, JUST before they left India last century...

your statement implies something of your own intelligence and motives. You would surely (should) not tolerate such a system of lowering standards in the UK. You would not be able to trust the shoddy ones coming out of the system then...
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-5-15 05:48:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-5-15 07:48

however, even with the 'lowering' of the standards, the JEE in India, is still a tough exam by world standards and quite challenging! Most western students who go through the normal high school level curriculum will struggle with it, without special training.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 09:02:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2014-5-15 09:03
KIyer Post time: 2014-5-15 05:48
however, even with the 'lowering' of the standards, the JEE in India, is still a tough exam by world ...

I know...............China and India places a lot of premium for their exams being toughest in the world.

Makes Kyler proud. But for what purpose? What for?

If tough is the only criteria.....................give them the Maths Olympics...............test them on Einstein's theory of relativity. ....but what for? How does this benefit the average guy? relevant to the average guy? relevant to society?

So, there is more than just tough at stake.

.(...................Malaysia, on the other hand, takes the opposite stance.
The School leaving exams is so easy, .it seems to me, everyone, anyone who just bothers to lift his fingers gets straight As.  Politicians happy, school administrators happy, students happy, ego boosted, self confidence boosted....................every kid, with straight As in the country walks around thinking they are little geniuses. , not realizing that is nothing, nothing at all.  )

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 13:12:15 |Display all floors
Gaokao, many years ago, i attended, but now, i don't know what to say about it. it's the biggest thing at that moment, but there're much more bigger things after that.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.