Author: voice_cd

Is China's gaokao the world's toughest exam?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-11 16:30:35 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2014-5-11 13:33
For both English and Classical Chinese, you should catch them while young.....before grade 7.

You have a point.  I think the principle reason why scads of Chinese students hate English is that they are put off by all kinds of tiresome,  manky and  wacky  English exams facing them in China. I even hear a funny story related to such English exams. Here is the thing:  upon hearing that most Chinese English exams are truly hard,   an American teacher teaching English in China decided to give a try.   " I think it's a no-brainer for a native speaker like me," he  said.  Yet he  was totally gobsmacked when he learned that he had  bollixed  that exam up with a score that's below par.  Amazingly,  he  also found that many Chinese students who reportedly got higher scores than him  in the same English exam couldn't even speak English or write well in English like him.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 16:36:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2014-5-11 16:39
tedbrent Post time: 2014-5-11 16:30
You have a point.  I think the principle reason why scads of Chinese students hate English is th ...

Good story.

I tell you another thing.

According to the latest scientific evidence........there is no harm to children learning multiple languages. It is not one or the other.......they can handle several without compromising mother tongue........but, but.........you must catch them young, before 12.

After that language acquisition becomes progressively difficult.

Meaning, if the national policy is to start learn English only after 12....... You are going to put people off.  And when people find it difficult, you will put people off even more.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 16:40:41 |Display all floors
You have a point.  I think the principle reason why scads of Chinese students hate English is th ...

My daughters have told me similar stories; some classmates who can hardly  utter a word in English scored higher in the exams than others who are fluent. But this is no scientific brainier since the area if the brain used for memorizing us completely different from the one used for speaking!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 16:44:38 |Display all floors

The exam must have been about obscure grammatical rules.........

That is what they do in China.......they like to trick and upend the examinees.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 17:59:16 |Display all floors
i think the theme of this blog is meaningless.
the people who give their own opinion always from their background  and experience .
we are hard to give the objective idea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 18:23:58 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-5-11 16:40
My daughters have told me similar stories; some classmates who can hardly  utter a word in English ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 18:25:24 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2014-5-11 16:44
The exam must have been about obscure grammatical rules.........

There you go. English education is akin  to rote-learning in China.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.