Author: voice_cd

Is China's gaokao the world's toughest exam?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-10 16:42:13 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-5-10 16:37
I don't see why both cannot be domne at the same time; I mean have a part of international educati ...

You could chalk it up to nationalism or sense of victimhood. Some Chinese nationalists reckon that Americans want to tap into the global influence of Hollywood movies and American English to ride herd on Chinese culture.  They call it cultural hegemony.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 20:39:56 |Display all floors
When I was studying for Gaokao in th high school, all the seniorities told me with one voice that the sole function of Gaokao is to distinguish people depending whether they will be admiited to university. It was absoltely ture that what I tried hard to grasp in three years' study was totally left behind with just one summer holiday. And these konwledge has no relationship with what I am learning now in college. It seems that the edcuatonal aim in China now is rather peculiar and strange without putting the cultivation of students as the maincourse but rather meaningless and endless competition killing our yound life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 21:18:46 |Display all floors
No, it's not...at least all the candidates has the opportunity of gaining admissions into the Universities,Polytechnics or a vocational college.

In Nigeria, it's more harder than this....a student will write the following exams:
-WASSCE - West African Examination Senior Secondary Certificate Examination(If you don't have 5 relevant Credits according to your dream, you will wait till next year)

- JAMB- Joint Admission Matriculation Board , (if you don't pass WASSCE, you don't need to write this as it's also once in a year even if you pass WASSCE and never have a high score in JAMB according the school you choose, you will have to wait till next year). JAMB's total score is 400.

- University Post-Jamb Examinations: This examination is carried out by all the universities in order to check if the JAMB qualified candidates really worth gaining admission into their school., some only do interviews, even a candidate has the highest score in JAMB  and fail the post-Jamb, there will be no admission .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 21:48:53 |Display all floors
Gaokao in China is especially important for those who want to futher study, also, more education means more opportunities. Gaogao could be seen as the ladder or bridge to success, but things are different, nowadays there will be less and less students who can not pass the college entrance exam.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 11:17:15 |Display all floors

I am a sophomore student in college now .And I was the one who has been through the Chinese GaoKao . when I was in mysenior high , I thought this kind of institution is just a disaster to students,coz I was suffering from the pressure of both physical part and mental part .But after I was enrolled into my university and learnt more about the study ofsociety , I found GaoKao is not that heinous anymore .

Chinese Gaokao is the only relatively fair wayfor students all over the nation to get higher education , because thepopularity of China is too large ,and the backgrounds of each student areentirely distinguishing . So GaoKao just provides a fair platform for them tofight .

But why are there so many criticizes towardsGaoKao ?  In my point of view , theinstitution of GaoKao is not to blame but the contents and form of it . At myage , Gk can decide one’s fate of having the access to higher education ,because everyone just had only one chance to apply for . But nowadays , the notionof reform has built . GaoKao has been divided into some different parts likeXueKao and English listening skill test , ect in some experimental provinces .and some declare they are going to offer another chance for students per year .

Soit’s of no sense to complain about the institution itself . What we need to dois to discuss if there are other better ways to improve this exam to selectmore outstanding and talented people .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 12:43:49 |Display all floors
Is there an English translation of the gaokao? I've often heard it is a difficult exam, but as it is in Chinese I have no way to verify the truth of the statement. All I know is the repercussions of students spending their whole childhood preparing for this exam.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-11 13:33:33 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2014-5-10 16:34
I think you are partly right about them. To my knowledge, the educators or teachers asking the C ...

For both English and Classical Chinese, you should catch them while young.....before grade 7.

For science and Maths you can defer until after grade 7

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.