Author: voice_cd

Is China's gaokao the world's toughest exam?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-10 13:33:25 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2014-5-10 09:54
From what I know this test champions memorization; a pretty useless low class skill.

Many of the C ...

Point taken.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 15:49:13 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-5-10 12:42
Really? I have spoken to many students in china who said they have to sit every exam. Even when th ...

English is compulsory even in Spanish universities. Not the same to say that all majors demand the same level. The famous CET (College English Test) has a range of bands that go from level B (lower) to 8 (higher).

Thanks for the good wishes for our children. The eldest is already in uni!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 15:52:17 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2014-5-10 13:31
I hear plans are  afoot to remove English from Gaokao, according to the Chinese press. Which w ...

Not even close to be true,the rumour I mean. On the contrary, China's Central Government is contemplating making English compulsory for Chinese students from primary school (now it's just compulsory subject from grade 7 up!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 16:19:20 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-5-10 15:52
Not even close to be true,the rumour I mean. On the contrary, China's Central Government is contem ...

Oh. But it's so striking that we have lots of Chinese students hating English in China. Worst yet,  Some educators who are said to be  the most staunch  nationalists have been calling on the Chinese government to scale back English education in China, aruging that Chinese students should pay more attention to Chinese language studies instead.

I think they may be hoping to let Chinese students talk like their ancient ancestors keen on uttering such words like 之乎者也 or 子曰.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 16:24:10 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2014-5-10 16:19
Oh. But it's so striking that we have lots of Chinese students hating English in China. Worst  ...

I would venture to say that there might be as many students who hate English as those who love it if we just consider China's student population. As for your statement that some teachers would be happy to go back a few decades or even centuries in tecahing students let's say archaic or classical Chinese, yes that might be true, but I really doubt that there are that many teachers with the necessary level to do so!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 16:34:29 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-5-10 16:24
I would venture to say that there might be as many students who hate English as those who love it  ...

I think you are partly right about them. To my knowledge, the educators or teachers asking the Chinese government to tighten screws on English studies or curb the proliferation of the so-called Americanization are mostly  fans of ancient chinese literature. They would force Chinese students to read  those ancient poems and books while disregarding English euducation  if they had a say in  final decision-making.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 16:37:24 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2014-5-10 16:34
I think you are partly right about them. To my knowledge, the educators or teachers asking the C ...

I don't see why both cannot be domne at the same time; I mean have a part of international education (including language and culture knowledge) and a part dedicated to traditional Chinese learning. Both ways are highly beneficial for any individual.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.