Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners(Round 3)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-13 16:53:21 |Display all floors
Q.1
We also have ‘courtesy’ seats on buses and trains in Australia but they are not reserved. Anyone can use them, but when an aged or handicapped person comes in you are encouraged to stand up. This is indicated in picture language on the wall rather than in words. The use of the term ‘courtesy’ is very appropriate.
Q.2
It is an excellent idea for Chinese people to also choose an English name. The world is getting smaller all the time and many Chinese will study or work in an overseas country and having an English name will help with relationships. I am surprised that your colleague’s name, Casper, was not used by his company. It is not a common name but has no bad associations. There was or is a cartoon series in which the chief character was ‘Casper the friendly ghost’, a very lovable character and therefore is not a problem.
In English speaking regions names do not have meanings any more. (They did have centuries ago.) Therefore you should be free in choosing a name. As an adult in a working situation you would probably be better off having a distinctive name rather than a common one. It helps you to stand out. However, if I were you I would not choose an old fashioned name.
Q.3
No, westerners do not usually greet by hugging or kissing unless you are good friends. The best way to greet is to shake hands and make eye contact, or just to give a wave.
In the modern world women tend to rank equal in respect to men. However, men normally wait for the lady to offer her hand before taking it. (Etiquette)
Q.4
Westerners would prefer to adopt babies from their own society but the sad thing is that there are so few babies available here. If they can’t find one (after perhaps five years) they therefore look overseas to see if a baby might be available.
Q.5
Just saying that a person ‘idolises’ another person is sufficient to say that he or she is obviously naïve and simple.
Q.6
Many photographs are taken on the wedding day by many people as well as by the professional photographer. It is supposed to be a record of how people looked on the actual Wedding Day. In order not to look so stiff and formal the wedding party may want the background to be trees or flowers or something interesting. The professional photographer will usually come up with a very grand collection of photos. I have even seen them produce an artistic book with hundreds of photos. (What happens in movies may be completely unrealistic!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-17 08:45:38 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-5-10 23:23
The question is, how much is it worth to you to make sure she doesn't see it?  

Just make your pa ...

Will 10 yuan cover it?  

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-17 11:47:05 |Display all floors
geoxian Post time: 2014-5-17 08:45
Will 10 yuan cover it?

10 kuai ... I'm thinking millions of kuai plus an apartment and a mistress for Christmas
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-18 12:22:21 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-5-7 20:26
I realise that English names are sometimes needed ( but I am not a fan of this and prefer Chinese na ...

I agree, Being asked or expected to choose an english name is rude, they should attempt to pronounce your Chinese name. Chinese names are not that difficult.
And yes, if you really want an english name, go online and choose a modern name, try not to pick names like wind, Rain, rainbow, etc, do some real research, ask friends to help you.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-18 12:26:07 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-5-8 16:21
1) Courtesy seats exist on public transport in Australia and it's actually a condition of travel by  ...

Good advice, ESP No. 5

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-18 12:36:25 |Display all floors
jiaoxu Post time: 2014-5-8 20:17
I agree with you but I think some elder people don't need courtesy seats unless too old to stand.I ...

About eing too old to stand, how is that judged?, offering the seat is courteous behaviour. It's not always based on actual need, it is better to err on the side of courtesy, than on the other.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-18 12:42:37 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-5-12 22:09
What's wrong with billybob as a name? :p

Skye is somewhat common in Scotland, we have The Isle of ...

what's wrong with Billybob???? Just asking that question is scary
Skye, Sky is fine.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.