Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners(Round 3)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-12 10:51:10 |Display all floors
1 In the US, they are sometimes called Handicap seating despite that they are also for pregnant women & the elderly as well.
2. When picking a name, don't try to find one with a "good meaning" because generally English names have little meaning.  However, it is possible to pick strange names.  Also, if you pick a word as a name and you say it to people, they'll usually assume they misheard you and ask you to repeat it.
Hence, the recommendation of asking an English speaking friend for a recommendation is good.

3 As noted hugging & kissing depend on the culture.  In the US, I hug some women friends, but never guy friends (I'm a guy).  However, the only women I hug are those who I know are OK with it (some would be offended if I tried to hug them).  It is nice to have a women friend who likes to be hugged.  

4 Lots of Westerners first focus on careers before having children.  If a women gets a PhD or MS, they face the issue that if they wait after the age of 35, it can be hard to have a child (we faced this & adopted a delightful Chinese girl).  Amongst friends with graduate degrees, it was common to talk about adoption, in vitro fertilization, and adoption.

Another issue in the US is that from 6 months to 3 years after the child is adopted, the biological parents can choose to take the child back (depending on the State you live in).  It's an absolutely horrible practice.  Also, many of the kids available for adoption are black and many black Americans are against whites adopting them.  The Wall Street Journal had an article about black teenagers being convinced by black adults to reject their white parents.  I could see how this could happen and I wouldn't be able to handle it, so adopting from China was an easy decision.  

Finally, China has a reputation of taking good care of babies and as a result, adopted babies bond readily.  My daughter did- she was a delight from the beginning and still is.  

5 Many Americans blindly believe that TV/movie stars are knowledgeable, but I don't know of a specific word (maybe "blindly worship" - but it's not commonly used. E.g., "She blindly worships the star.")

6 In the US, photos are an important part of a marriage, but not like in China.  In the US, usually the bride wears just her wedding dress for the photos.  This is true in other ways as well:  many of my Chinese friends get professional photo albums made of their daughters in many different dresses.  This is unusual in the US and would mainly occur when the girl wants to become a model.  

While in the US, some get a professional family photo for Christmas or another holiday, it seems like professional family photos are less common in the US than in China.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-12 20:09:25 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-5-8 14:21
1) Courtesy seats exist on public transport in Australia and it's actually a condition of travel by  ...

What's wrong with billybob as a name? :p

Skye is somewhat common in Scotland, we have The Isle of Skye.

good answers!
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-12 20:41:39 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-5-11 01:21
Nice to become friends with you, I try my best but there is a lot I do not know.

I am not too you ...

Your English is just like what I read from English books.You know many chinese also say something in this BBS.But I can identify them to be chinese,that is because their English is so different from real English although their gramma is correct.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-12 21:08:48 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-5-12 20:09
What's wrong with billybob as a name? :p

Skye is somewhat common in Scotland, we have The Isle of ...

Billybob is Redneck, it's hardly a classy name...

As for Skye, I know where it is, I probably went there before you were born!

Scotland .. pretty country, but I won't comment on the people
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-12 21:21:26 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-5-12 21:08
Billybob is Redneck, it's hardly a classy name...

As for Skye, I know where it is, I probably wen ...

Haha, i always remember that joke.

"the Archangel gabriel looked at Scotland with it's beautiful countryside, rolling hills and thought it was the most beautiful country in the world. he asked God "Don't you think you have given this country too much?" God replied "You haven't met the locals"

Sorry, i am not too sure where you are from. I was not too sure how well known Skye was a place. I wasn't meaning to be condescending.

You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-5-12 21:47:51 |Display all floors
恰同学少年 Post time: 2014-5-12 20:41
Your English is just like what I read from English books.You know many chinese also say something  ...

My English is certainly better than my Chinese!!!!! I do make the occasional mistake though.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-12 22:07:22 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-5-12 21:21
Haha, i always remember that joke.

"the Archangel gabriel looked at Scotland with it's beautiful  ...

Am originally from south of the Scottish border in God's own Country, Yorkshire.

Now I live in Australia where I've lived since my late childhood.  Skye is quite famous though most people probably don't know it's an island.  Anyone who's reasonably well read should know it from the Jacobite Uprising and so on.

You weren't being condescending ... I am about to be though (not on this post)... got a yank to slice and dice hehe.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.