Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners(Round 3)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-8 22:12:10 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-5-7 18:24
1, courtesy seats exist in the UK but why the need for them? Would it not be better if people automa ...

I never take the courteay seats when I take bus.That's because when I see people who need help I must give the seats to them.If I don't give the seats to them people in the bus will stare at me as if I just commited a crime.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-9 12:27:22 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pinster at 2014-5-9 12:35

1 I've haven't seen these seats, but people will often get up for these people on their own.  Some people even get up for non-pregnant women...

2 Casper is a cool name - but maybe they preferred his Chinese name?  Pick a name you like, and don't worry too much.  Remember that you're the one doing a courtesy - because how often do westerners give themselves a Chinese name?

3 Hugging and kissing is for friends only - in a professional context it's really unacceptable.  More common in Europe, and among women, especially teen girls.  It's usually something like kissing the air next to their cheek.  Guys will hug sometimes, but only if they have been friends for a long time, or haven't seen each other since college, or if they've had too much alcohol.

4 Westerners often adopt when they can't have their own kids because of infertility.  There's a shortage of babies in the west, because pregnant women who don't want a baby often would rather have an abortion than have their kid raised by somebody else.  It's really sad to get married and be unable to share your love with a child, so they try to adopt wherever they can.

5 fan-boy is the closest we have, but it's really an idiom/neologism.  Others are partisan, sycophant, cultist ...

6 People in the US definitely take wedding photos.  From what I've seen, it's mostly the day of the wedding, outside in nature, before the ceremony, and just after.  Movies give a really distorted picture of everything in general.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-9 13:14:06 |Display all floors
pinster Post time: 2014-5-9 12:27
1 I've haven't seen these seats, but people will often get up for these people on their own.  Some p ...

Thank you for your answers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-10 10:36:05 |Display all floors
1 In China, we have here the so-called "courtesy seats" ...
We have them here, too, but there is no one specific name for them.

2 How to choose an appropriate English name?
This is a tricky one, because as an American I had a similar issue with obtaining a Chinese name. I had a Chinese friend pick one for me, and I would suggest asking a native English speaker for help in selecting a name so that your name will seem appropriate for you. "Casper" is an uncommon name, but could be a good name for a serious, studious man, especially one who is strong-willed.

3 We know that westerners greet each other by hugging and kissing. But how exactly do they do it? What's the extent of the hug or kiss? What's the etiquette?

That is a broad generalization and it varies greatly by individual and by culture. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure of the rules myself except that if someone greeted you that way, then it's normally acceptable to use a similar greeting with that person again.

4 Why do Westerners like to adopt Chinese kids, or Asian kids?
They're cute. It may sound racist, but little Chinese girls are about the cutest little girls ever.

5 There's a catchword in China to describe a fan who adores her/his idol so much that she/he believes every single word by her/his idol. No matter what her/his idol does, she/he thinks it's good and reasonable. Is there an equivalent to that word in English?

I'm not aware of a single word for that other that to say that someone is a "follower", but that does not quite capture what you're asking. That's one of the fun things about learning other languages is that you have a chance to see the world differently.

6 Chinese couples take wedding photo in photo studios before their marriage.

It is not as common. Usually the wedding photos are taken on the day of the wedding.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-10 23:23:10 |Display all floors
geoxian Post time: 2014-5-8 16:47
Question 2:  I would tell you the name I call my Chinese wife but I don't think they would print it. ...

The question is, how much is it worth to you to make sure she doesn't see it?  

Just make your payment (all you are worth to)

Danegeld collection department
Vikingr enterprises PLC.
666 Kraken St,
Trondheim....
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-5-11 01:17:34 |Display all floors
jiaoxu Post time: 2014-5-8 18:17
I agree with you but I think some elder people don't need courtesy seats unless too old to stand.I ...

It is not always about neeing, it is also about showing respect to your elders

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-5-11 01:21:17 |Display all floors
恰同学少年 Post time: 2014-5-8 22:12
I never take the courteay seats when I take bus.That's because when I see people who need help I m ...

Nice to become friends with you, I try my best but there is a lot I do not know.

I am not too young now but on the Metro in Shanghai I rarely sit down leaving the seats for others

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.