Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners(Round 3)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-8 16:43:39 |Display all floors
Question 2:  I always tell the Chinese I meet to pick whatever name you like - period.  There are some names that are popular, some that haven't been used in awhile, and some that are unusual.  Casper is a name that hasn't been used in a while.  There is also a popular cartoon character called Casper the Ghost.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:47:51 |Display all floors
Question 2:  I would tell you the name I call my Chinese wife but I don't think they would print it.

NOTE:  Oh please don't ever show this forum to my wife.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:50:06 |Display all floors
Question 3:  For the US this question needs some qualifying.  I'll work on an answer and post it later.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:53:35 |Display all floors
Question 4:  For the US this could be a long answer.  Just let me say that Americans adopt kids from all over the world.  Some places, including the US, are easier or harder to adopt children.  The same question could be asked of me, which my wife does all the time, why do I like Chinese (Asian) women.  The answer is a real tough one - I just do.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:58:11 |Display all floors
Question 6:  Most Americans take their wedding photos after the wedding ceremony.  Remember, in the US the wedding ceremony is the actual wedding and makes it legal.  True, you have to get a marriage license first but it is the ceremony that completes the wedding.  There is one other technicality that completes the wedding but I don't think I'll state it here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 17:17:53 |Display all floors
I am not sure Chinese can learn much in choosing an English name from how we do so ourselves in English speaking. There is no doubt that there are fashionable names each year. Perhaps there is a a Royal baby and folks want to copy that name. One can find lists on the internet of the most popular English language names at current time. However some Westerners choose names that preserve a family tradition, perhaps a grandparent had that name. For Chinese it is obviously what you feel comfortable with but unusual names may be difficult for foreigners to recognize, remember, pronounce correctly and spell correctly. Since the purpose of giving oneself an English name is presumably to make life easier for foreigners to know your name, it is counter-productive if not kept fairly simple.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 18:17:34 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-5-7 18:24
1, courtesy seats exist in the UK but why the need for them? Would it not be better if people automa ...

I agree with you but I think some elder people don't need courtesy seats unless too old to stand.I hear in America courtesy seats are considered a way of discrimination.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.