Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners(Round 3)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-7 22:16:16 |Display all floors
The sign above courtesy seats on public buses and subway lines in UK usually says PRIORITY seating. Thus first choice is for elderly, disabled, pregnant, carrying baby or sick Others may use if no such passengers at that time.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-7 23:41:43 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-5-7 10:34
6, In the UK wedding photos are taken only on the wedding day and include different cloths only if t ...

And the often large number of photos at wedding and reception and with relatives and friends are preserved in a wedding album for posterity. Only a few photos, perhaps typically just one of the married couple would be hung on display in the house. Perhaps then even modestly on a bedroom table.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-5-8 00:17:52 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2014-5-7 23:41
And the often large number of photos at wedding and reception and with relatives and friends are p ...

Again unlike Chinese wedding photos, some of which are blown up to a promineny size and put very ostentatiously on show.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-5-8 14:21:36 |Display all floors
1) Courtesy seats exist on public transport in Australia and it's actually a condition of travel by school students that they vacate their seat for an older person. Sadly most kids no longer do this and it's not enforced by the authorities.  

2) Picking a Suitable English name is a can of worms.  I recommend avoiding fruit and vegetable names such as Apple, Pear, Peach etc.  I'd also avoid the more recently invented names which are often illiterate such as Skye, Jarrod and stupid names such as Chrystal or Chyntal or Billybob.  Pick something that is simple, has a bit of class and is easy to remember, or ask an English speaking friend to give you some suggestions based on your personality.

3) Hugging and kissing when greeting are practiced by few western cultures.  Unless you are Italian, Greek, French etc where it's the norm a more staid greeting is practiced such as a handshake or if you know the person a hug around the shoulders.  Kissing a woman on the cheek is acceptable for friends but should generally not be done for strangers in most western Cultures.   On the subject of handshakes, most Asians shake hands like a limp fish.  A handshake should be firm and vigorous.  Grasp the other persons hand firmly and shake up and down a couple of times before releasing.  In the west a handshake is the measure of a man's character. Don't over grip but it should be relaxed and yet firm.

4) In most western countries the number of children put up for adoption is quite low. This is in part due to the widespread use of contraceptives and the social system not stigmatising single mothers.  Some countries such as Russia and Italy have higher levels of children in orphanages.   If there are few kids available to adopt then Asian kids are often the next choice, in part because they are viewed as being good students and well behaved children in general.

5) I can't think of a word that is widely used other than "idiot"...

6) Wedding photographs originated in the west.  Most photography occurs on the actual wedding day and features the ceremony, and reception afterwards, that's 2 costume changes.  It's also not unheard of for the bride to have photographs taken at home during her preparation for the ceremony.  More couples are also taking formal studio images before or after the honeymoon in their wedding day outfits.  Wedding day photography costs in the west from about 1400 rmb to well over 100,000 rmb depending on the country and the photographers reputation. The average cost would be between 10 and 20,000 rmb in most first economy countries (USA, UK, Australia, NZ, Germany, Switzerland etc).
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:32:11 |Display all floors
Question 5:  Yes, the word is "stupid".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:37:54 |Display all floors
Question 1:  Every state in the US is a little different.  But generally I haven't seen "courtesy seats" as such.  We do have a courtesy of giving our seat to those mentioned in the question plus men offer their seats to ladies as well.  Or at least they used to before the women demanded "equal rights".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-8 16:39:07 |Display all floors
Also on question 1:  In the city I live in the wording on the sign needs a correction or two.  I'll try to record the sign and then give you the correction.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.