Author: voice_cd

New questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-3 08:29:44 |Display all floors
Peas and carrots is a very common vegetable dish in American and can be purchased in the frozen food section of the super market.  This dish is healthy and colorful and go well together but most people will buy them because children will eat them and for whatever reason children in American do not care for vegetables.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-3 10:02:46 |Display all floors
Q6.  I keep Wechat/Facebook sharing for practical purposes - organizing events, posting photos for friends, personal exchanges. I am bamboozled by people posting random "stuff". Now I'm amazed that it's even filed according to categories!!!  What's it for? I once heard the phenomenon of creating fake online communities of followers and friends as the "look at me, look at me" syndrome. The identities created are often manipulated. I also ask myself why I post in China Daily blogs. It's an experiment to try to understand and participate in the phenomenon, to get an opinion on it.  So, posting unwarranted shares on WEchat - it's ALL perplexing unless it's my friends and me exchanging things we care about. But I keep looking at it in case I suddenly gain enlightenment. Some are works of art, fun and clever but so ephemeral. It's got to mean something about the nature of digital community.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-3 21:37:39 |Display all floors
Here is a sentence from my student's compostion. 'If we only care about our appearane and neglect our inside, we will be vases.' Grammaticaly it is correct, but I am not sure whether the expression is acceptable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-3 22:05:25 |Display all floors
Q.3. Because they are both 'vegetables'

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-5 09:08:09 |Display all floors
Q3: "peas and carrots“ means Forrest and Jenny awalys together, Jenny is Forrest's shadow.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-5 10:15:09 |Display all floors
Q 3. Q3: In the film Forrest Gump, Forrest said he and Jenny are "peas and carrots". Why "peas" and "carrots", any stories behind this?
I didn't watch the film. I can explain the expression "peas and Carrot". It is used to express love:
1. Means  "I love you".  
2. we are making perfect match.
3. We are always together as Peas and Carrot do.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-5 17:15:11 |Display all floors
Q1/ The standby man or woman is often referred to as a "back-up plan", "back up" or "reserve".

Q2 "You Betcha" is a slang term used by those who think talking like a fool is cool, this term is seen as rude and crass by most people who have a university or college education. It is known as trash talk in the US, the kind of thing bad teacher teach students because it make those listening to them saying it think they are stupid.  It means "I agree" or "that's right". Betcha on its own is like issuing a challenge, for example: "I betcha can't do it?"

Q3 Peas and carrots was a deliberate miss use to add to the character Forest Gumps persona, The actual phrase is "Peas in a pod" meaning perfect match.

Q4 They use a lot of bad grammar and repetitive phrases because they learn most of their English from Films, TV, music and teachers on fake documents who do not have a high enough level of education to teach English as it needs to be taught to give the students the greatest benefit.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.