Author: voice_cd

New questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-30 21:17:53 |Display all floors
###

Q3:

In the film Forrest Gump, Forrest said he and Jenny are "peas and carrots".

Why "peas" and "carrots", any stories behind this?

Peas and carrots are often served together on a plate.

This is often the main meal of the day.

The peas and carrots are usually served with other vegetables and meat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 21:46:25 |Display all floors
###

Q4:

Are there any English expressions that Chinese use a lot, but they are no longer or seldom used by native English-speakers now?

Not that I can think of.

But most people from East Asia have a bad habit of missing-out words when they speak English.

Japan, China, Philippines.

There are small words absent in their speech.

When they are told this, their English is much better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 22:22:24 |Display all floors
###

Q5:

Mother’s Day nears.

How do people in your country usually spend or celebrate the day?

Are there any stories about the origin of the day?

Many people buy flowers to give to their mother.

People who sell flowers make a lot of money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 22:37:30 |Display all floors
###

Q6:

As now Chinese netizens have grouped information shared in Wechat Friends as chicken soup, selfies, ads and promotions etc, what kinds of information that your friends are sharing on the social networking sites that you usually play.

And what types of sharing are the most annoying in your eyes?

This is not a problem.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 23:35:12 |Display all floors
Q5,Around me, when mother's day is coming, my friends and classmates often send messages or call their mother to express their thoughts of thanks their mother. Therefore, some may buy flowers to their mother. The flower's name called carnation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-1 00:04:46 |Display all floors
Q1 - second fiddle, second choice. Interestingly, in Chinese,  备胎(beitai) means spare tire. Spare tire in English can refer to a big stomach.
Q6:  what kinds of information that your friends are sharing on the social networking sites that you usually play. And what types of sharing are the most annoying in your eyes?

I have little to do with social media. It's just a facsimile of spilling it all yelling into a cell phone and playing with it while ignoring the real world around you. A business may need it, but most of the individual "sharing" is shallow and silly self-promotion. I don't need to see it. I welcome real communication from real friends. Privately. Too bad letter writing is becoming a lost art.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-1 00:09:48 |Display all floors
thomas.wood Post time: 2014-4-30 01:01
Q4: Yes.  We seldom use seldom!  Compare: "I seldom go fishing." with "I don't go fishing very often ...

I disagree. I hear it, even in mixed company (ages), especially in better-educated crowds. Not trying tb snotty, just my observation.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.