Views: 9228|Replies: 25

Forum trend: Seven false stereotypes about the Chinese[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-26 11:16:41 |Display all floors
Editor's note: Grace Jacobsen,our blogger from the United States, offers her version of incorrect Chinese stereotypes. Welcome to join our forum for discussions.

Grace Jacobsen (US)

Despite the fact that I spent a good deal of time growing up in Asia, I still had some preconceived notions about China before moving here. I would like to blame Chinatowns, Mulan and the media for my terrible stereo ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-26 11:16:42 |Display all floors
My comments on your 4 observations:

1. I believe that our immediate environment shapes our characteristics. Chinese kids' tendency toward math and science is only a recent phenomenon and purely out of practical necessity as job opportunities call for. In ancient times as recent as the Ching Dynasty, traditional literature and philosophy dominates. In the future, maybe finance and management skills will dominate.

2. Large population and lack of productive land dictates that all available resources do not go to waste. This is the true story of China. Even today China is in reality a poor country classified as a developing nation at best only marginally.

3. Chinese (Han only) do look more homogeneous even more so than their Southest Asian cousins or their Indian neighbour as over the centuries they are a land based, inward looking and self contained people with less imperial designs and adventures.

4. China is multi-ethnic even among Hans. The author is completely wrong on this point. For example, in Shanghai (among Shanghainese), the lady is absolutely the empress of the household. Poor Shanghainese man goes to the market and does the cooking!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-26 12:07:02 |Display all floors
Only in recent times are mixed marriages more popular with Chinese people and at that, females seem to be more so. So you probably still see more oriental features with the Williams and Forsters than the Wus and Wongs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-26 16:32:43 |Display all floors
just see some aspects ,not all

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 05:01:23 |Display all floors
Sour grapes often smear by all means!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 10:10:26 |Display all floors
@ WOW! ... This coming from the guy who constantly repeats and invents stereotypes about foreigners. Pot calling the kettle black?

re: Point #5. Chinese can't be Christians. This is not about organized religions per se. It is more about being one one of those bible-thumping born again Christians. You know, the ones are constantly praising Jesus, and holding prayer meetings and bible studies?

re: Point #7. It's not that Chinese can't (aren't allowed to) drive. They are constantly breaking the rules, speeding, driving without headlights, fake license plates, running red lights, not allowing the pedestrian to have the right-of-way at intersections, etc., and there is little to no enforcement of driving regulations. There are traffic police, but other than overseeing the odd accident, nobody seems to know exactly what they do. In my 10 years here, I don't think I've seen more than five tickets handed out.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-28 21:15:08 |Display all floors
A wonderful essay actually.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.