Car bursts into flames in lion enclosure Anna Bing
A fun day out for one family at Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire nearly took a disastrous turn as their car caught fire, leaving them stranded – in the lion enclosure. The car had overheated with flames spouting from its engine while the family were in the first big cat enclosure. Thankfully, however, park rangers were able to rescue a woman and two children before the car was engulfed in flames.
The incident happened on Friday afternoon and park staff reacted quickly to the impending danger. Kevin Ashley explained: "The lions were cleared from the enclosure and the safari park was closed."
With the flames extinguished hurriedly there were no casualties, either human or feline.
Witnesses of the drama posted pictures and their reactions on Twitter, with Anna Bing saying: "Slight drama at longleat! Car catches fire in the middle of the lion enclosure! Eeek!"
George Lear was rather more entertained by events, once he knew all were unscathed, tweeting: "A car set on fire in the lion enclosure at longleat and it made my day".
Fellow tweeter, “Hannah”, also commented: “Bad day for someone @Longleat! And we were in the lion enclosure #notagoodtimeforabreakdown