Author: sylvia315

when a teacher makes a terrible mistake in class   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-3-13 10:26:00 |Display all floors
Fischkopp Post time: 2014-3-12 12:33
Exactly!

We are all human beings and making mistakes is part of life. One just has to accept it. ...

There is more to this than just accepting that we are all human and have the propensity to make mistakes.

For a teacher to make a mistake can, actually, be beneficial in two ways. One, it is a useful tool in checking that the class has understood the lesson and, two, it makes the teacher appear more human and 'normal'. Three, (yes, I know that I can't count) students, especially kids, love it when their teacher makes a mistake. They love pointing this out and, importantly, it gives them confidence in themselves and their ability. Giving students confidence in themselves is an important part of teaching.

Nearing the end of a lesson, I have often made deliberate 'mistakes' and the students have always delighted in pointing them out, often most vociferously too! From this, I have ascertained that they understood everything that I had tried to teach them. The students have left my classes with beaming smiles; they were very pleased that they had 'corrected' an adult and, surely, they were very grown up now! More, though, for they would listen intently in my next class, paying attention to every word that I said in the hope that I would make another mistake and they could point it out to me.

Can you think of a better way to encourage kids to listen so intently? Weren't you a kid and didn't you love it when an adult made a mistake?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-13 21:30:17 |Display all floors
What KIND OF TEACHER are we talking about here?

English teachers teaching the LANGUAGE? or what?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-13 22:40:35 |Display all floors
sylvia315 Post time: 2014-3-13 07:11
so as a student, what do you expect your teacher to do in this case?

At least he should accept the mistake. But maybe it's a matter of face or dignity. We like a techer who can accept the mistake he made and point out our mistake. So what do you think?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-14 06:36:05 |Display all floors
Léoni Post time: 2014-3-13 22:40
At least he should accept the mistake. But maybe it's a matter of face or dignity. We like a teche ...

i agree. maybe sometimes teachers just think their mistakes will impair their ego. as a matter of fact, students will not take them seriously. a genuine and honest teacher is truly respectable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-14 06:41:09 |Display all floors
greendragon Post time: 2014-3-13 21:30
What KIND OF TEACHER are we talking about here?

English teachers teaching the LANGUAGE? or what?

yes, it is quite easy for english teachers to make unconscious mistakes in class. do you have any interesting examples?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-14 06:55:31 |Display all floors
ExileMick Post time: 2014-3-13 10:26
There is more to this than just accepting that we are all human and have the propensity to make mi ...

your idea is inspiring, and i admire your creativity and courage. but i think most teachers in this country lack the awareness. perhaps it has something to do with our core value--hierarchy. teachers are expected to be knowledgeable and authoritative . challenge is not popular.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-14 07:08:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-3-14 06:45
What an unrealistic question! Chinese students never question their Chinese terachers' knowledge,  ...

what you've described belongs to the past. nowadays in china, more and more students no longer remain obedient to their teachers. they are smart and creative, having their own thoughts. especially to those post 90s, challenging authority is a perfect way to give their own voice.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.