Views: 1719|Replies: 3

Venezuela: Another Study of Hollywood Uprisings [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-22 13:34:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2014-2-22 14:13

NOT to be outdone by their rivals in Kyiv, the Hollywood crew in Caracas have produced ream after ream of memorable pictures, using leaping flames and dark billowing smoke as the foreground subject matter of their skillful visual interpretations of reality.  As always, cameras conceal more than they reveal.  The optical limitations of a camera lens and its defined scope of view makes this conclusion incontrovertible.  An ordinary person standing on the sidewalk looking around him for a minute knows more than a "news" watcher glued to the TV screen for a whole day.  One has the freedom of observation, the other, is a hostage to the cameraman directing his sight, for example to a buring rubber tire, obviously set on fire by dousing it with gasoline.  But what is so interesting about a burning tire, except that one does not see it at all in civilized countries, simply because it is environmentally evil and decadent to treat a tire in such a savage way (using their kind of verbiage to describe a stupid act).

The Venezuelan President was so exasperated he said the CNN crew would be booted out of his country.  No sooner had he said it, he was reminded that his hated news organization continues to broadcast in Venezuela with another crew, and a native one.  And they might have promised to be fair to him from now on and present the ugly side of the protesters too, which is equally disgusting, because it wasn't the protesters who were ugly, but the cameramen filming them burning rubber tires and calling it a revolution!

Oh yes, there is another Kiev, another Caracas, and its name is called Bangkok, where truth comes from the barrel of the camera lens.  Like fire, like water, like wind, it is time that responsible governments put a leash on foreign newsmen, not to stiifle the truth, but to guard it from being kidnapped by a video camera.  Perhaps, it is time to establish internationally acceptable standards of filming and journalism, and for reporters to be accredited according to such standards, before being given the license to interpret truth to the whole world.   To report news, they must promise and act to provide the public with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  

But maybe, the only way they can afford the luxury of honesty is if they are promised immunity from being fired by their employers for a period of five years after being notified of their severance.  And the only way this can work is if they have an unemployment insurance policy issued by a third party to match their current income and benefits for a period of five years from date of notice.  Let us be realistic.  Reporters, like all workers, need a job to survive.  Only when their survival is guaranteed until they can find another one, and the fallout of their present actions have settled down, can they afford to be honest to the public over and above their loyalty to their employers.  Any news organization seeking license to operate in any country must therefore produce evidence of unemployment insurance for their reporters and camera crew equivalent to 5 years of salaries and benefits. This policy must be issued and payable in the country where the reporting is to take place.

This is something that China could potentially lead the world in, because honest news reporting is indeed needed, but keeping the reporting honest is something that only the government can do, but which the news industry cannot or will not do of its own accord.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 13:49:06 |Display all floors
abraham I cus.

The only way you can stop people from trying to improve is to kill, jail and torture them.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 14:09:34 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2014-2-22 13:49
abraham I cus.

You are speaking your mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-22 14:15:44 |Display all floors
abramicus Post time: 2014-2-22 14:09
You are speaking your mind.

Revolutionaries don't stop people trying to improve.

Revolutionaries want changes and improvements.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.