Views: 5495|Replies: 19

Scotland Deserves Its Own Independent Currency   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-16 14:14:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2014-2-16 14:16

Britain threatens to refuse Scotland the use of the British pound.

Does not make sense, and may be illegal, considering that the British pound, as held by the Royal Bank of Scotland, is the liability of the British government, and must be honored in trade by Britain itself, or else, the British pound must be removed as an exchange currency in international trade, as its redeemabiity becomes a matter of political whim by the British government.

To say, however, that the Bank of England would refuse to print more British currency in exchange for Scottish labor and resources is to say nothing at all, because neither would Scotland accept British fiat money for its work and minerals, when in fact it could just as easily print its own money to serve the same ends.

So, what is the threat of Scotland not being able to use the British pound?  It is nonsense.  And a non-threat.  A pound spent by a Scot is equal to a pound spent by an Englishman, and must be honored in London, irregardless of who spent it.  If Britain messes around with the exchangeabiity of the British pound, why it will become worthless overnight!

While we do not encourage Scotland to secede from the UK, we must respect the rights of the Scottish people to remove the yoke of colonial oppression that they have suffered under for so many centuries, ever since Braveheart was executed by being drawn and quartered using four horses to pull his body apart in London.  Such barbarity is unworthy of a ruler of Scotland, which has a much more civilized culture than its lowland neighbor.  If Scotland needs to trade with China for any reason, China should extend its people a helping hand by providing it with a generous line of credit, to the tune of ten billion dollars at the minimum.  China should make Scotland a preferred tourist spot for its wealthier citizens to visit.  And if Scotland cannot pay in pounds or dollars, why China can accept its own currency instead as payment, to be credited against its exports to China, with the rest forming a small fraction of China's now more than 4 trillion dollars of foreign reserves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-16 16:30:59 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 18:07:41 |Display all floors
Scotland is not and has never been a colony...

However Braveheart, it did fully participate in the British Empire as a coloniser of the Americas and elsewhere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 20:18:25 |Display all floors
I have never read such a lot of bulls*it in my life. You obviously know absolutely 0 about the British constitution or its history. If Scotland wants independence then it should break ALL ties with England and fend for itself. There is far more involved with sharing a currency than simply spending it and you seem to forget that England bailed out both Scottish banks. They should also include All Scottish people and the English in the vote. It needs two parties to marry and to divorce, and it needs both parties to agree terms, not one to demand them.

Incidentally why do you think the Roman Empire built a wall between Scotland and England and never conquered Scotland? Oh and if you are refering to the film Braveheart directed by Mel Gibson, it has been described as one of the most historically inaccurate modern films ever made.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-17 20:31:40 |Display all floors
This story is nothing but lies

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-18 11:45:33 |Display all floors
Scotland should print her own money and it can be traded with any other currancy as well. Britain will never try to stop people from using their fiat money anyway, they make a big profit from anyone who uses their money, it' a loan free of interest they get by printing paper money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-18 12:30:51 |Display all floors
mikaelforsberg Post time: 2014-2-18 11:45
Scotland should print her own money and it can be traded with any other currancy as well. Britain wi ...

5 million Scots.......................if they inherit the North Sea oil, each of them will be a multi millionaire.

and each of them can have one English butler for life, free.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.