Views: 39109|Replies: 111

Three things I'm fed up to hear about China   [Copy link] 中文

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-1-1 22:55:29 |Display all floors
1. CHINA HAS 5000 YEARS OF CIVILIZATION

What the heck does that mean ? China did not exist 5000 years ago, the country was formed in 221 BC and, even then, it did not consist of just one civilization.

In this case Europe, Middle East and Africa have 5000 years of civilization too...

Plus, let's be honest, 50 years ago the Chinese people decided that their culture was backward and initiated a gigantic change of said culture. So why now be proud of what you loathed 50 years ago ?

2. CHINESE PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY

Seriously, what the heck does this mean ? Are you saying Chinese people are friendlier than other people ? Chinese people are no more or less friendly than many other people on this planet. There are bad people and good people, no more no less, in proportion, than other countries in the world. Plus, don't you think non-Chinese people should decide whether Chinese people are friendly ? I thought Chinese were big on humility...

3. CHINESE ARE HARD WORKING

This one always cracks me up. Being present from 7AM to 11PM in the office to play on the computer does not equal hard work. Standing there doing nothing does not equal hard work. And, again, what does it even mean ? Other people are not hard working ? Sure the Chinese spend a lot of time at work but how much do they actually work ? If we check the productivity of Chinese companies the answer is simple : not that much. Fortunately there are still very hard working people to make up for the slackers.

Honestly, I just feel these 3 sentences are wishful thinking and made to make Chinese people feel good about themselves.

Ok, let the bashing begin {:soso_e100:}
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-1 23:18:20 |Display all floors
1. nope.
2. nope.
3. nope.

Well, all statements made sense to me, I saw them as valid for anywhere in the world.

No bashing to be had here. Not from me anyway.

The day I stop learning will be the day I die. Maybe.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-1-1 23:38:42 |Display all floors
Well said, I am a China lover but can not dispute what you have said, there will be those that do but I defy them to come up with proper explanations as to why they think you are wrong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-2 11:08:34 |Display all floors
very well expressed MisterPanda {:soso_e181:}  ( i live and work in China already for several years and intend to stay some years more...ROBERT, you hear me? )
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-2 11:59:38 |Display all floors
It basically summarised the fact that there is no one single China or Chinese people. There is no way one billion people can possibly think and behave the same way. The diversity ranges from the coastal cities to the rural to the far west. Each have their own culture and peculiarity. So to describe all of them in one broad stroke is like saying all oranges taste the same. That goes the same when people says all laowai are .....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-2 12:01:26 |Display all floors
vk3ukf Post time: 2014-1-1 23:18
1. nope.
2. nope.
3. nope.

I didn't understand the 3 "nopes" ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-2 12:02:41 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-1-1 23:38
Well said, I am a China lover but can not dispute what you have said, there will be those that do bu ...

I knew I was going to be called a Western propagandist by our good friend, of course, but I'm surprised there isn't a little bit more bashing.

By the way, are you based in Shanghai ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.