Views: 27721|Replies: 169

Man pursues 'Chinese dream' in New York   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-12-30 14:18:34 |Display all floors
A Chinese street vendor sells northwestern Chinese snacks, such as liangpi (凉皮, cold noodles), roujiamo (肉夹馍, Chinese hamburger) and yangrouchuan (羊肉串, lamb shashlik), in front of the gate of Columbia University in Manhattan, New York.

The vendor, Xie Yunfeng, arrived in the US two years ago from Luoyang, China. Having worked as a cook and a decoration worker in several US states, he settled down in New York and started his own business—selling northwestern Chinese snacks from his cart.

Recent reports say that he partners with another Chinese and will open up a hotpot restaurant which extends 1,000 square meters.

He denied the rumor on the Internet that he could earn $800 every day. “It’s too exaggerated. I don’t know what made people think it’s easy for me to earn dollars?” he laughed.
After his story goes public this year, the competition of business is growing tough. He said that there are three new carts selling Chinese snacks in the area.

The New York government has strict rules and regulations on street vendors and their carts. They send staff out to check on an irregular basis. A street vendor can be fined for breach of any of the rules and regulations. After being ticketed, the street vendor has to go to court. He has been fined twice and paid over $2,000 in compensation.

His wife and daughter are still in China and his son has joined PLA. He misses them very much.
Life is getting better and better now. He purchased a white car.

Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-30 14:19:06 |Display all floors

Tasting a bit of China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-30 14:19:47 |Display all floors

Business is not bad

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-30 14:21:01 |Display all floors

His white car is parked by the roadside

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-12-30 22:15:25 |Display all floors
I don't understand why you mention Chinese Dream ? It seems to me this is more the American Dream as depicted by the propaganda (the immigrant who comes to the US with nothing and manage to make a good life for himself).
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-12-30 22:30:41 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2013-12-30 22:15
I don't understand why you mention Chinese Dream ? It seems to me this is more the American Dream as ...

And it appears he is trading without a licence as the OP says he has twice been fined, I wonder what his visa says.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2013-12-30 22:39:00 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2013-12-30 22:30
And it appears he is trading without a licence as the OP says he has twice been fined, I wonder wh ...

I think if he was trading without a license he would have been kicked out already.

A street vendor can be fined for breach of any of the rules and regulations

I don't know about New York but I did sell cards in the streets when I was a student and the rules on which they would try and get us the most often was that we had to stay at a minimum of 70cm from the shops windows in the street and, since we did not always had a ruler in hand and sometimes there can be a lot of pedestrian traffic, we would sometimes be within less than 70cm of the store window.

What I'm more concerned about is this

After his story goes public this year, the competition of business is growing tough. He said that there are three new carts selling Chinese snacks in the area.

I hate these kinds of bloodsucking parasites without an ounce of originality. Mister Xie is working hard, has a good idea and, after he created a market for him these people come and try to steal it from him instead of coming up with an original idea for doing business
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.